Monday, September 7, 2015

Pam Hillman & Alice K. Arenz | New Novel News

Yep, we've got another set for New Novel News today - it's like a Labor Day miracle ;) Enjoy these releases as well!

Stealing Jake
by Pam Hillman

August 2015
Tyndale House
Purchase: Stealing Jake

When Livy O’Brien spies a young boy jostling a man walking along the boardwalk, she recognizes the act for what it is. After all, she used to be known as Light-fingered Livy. But that was before she put her past behind her and moved to the growing town of Chestnut, Illinois, where she’s helping to run an orphanage. Now she’ll do almost anything to protect the street kids like herself.

Sheriff’s deputy Jake Russell had no idea what he was in for when he ran into Livy—literally—while chasing down a pickpocket. With a rash of robberies and a growing number of street kids in town—as well as a loan on the family farm that needs to be paid off—Jake doesn’t have time to pursue a girl. Still, he can’t seem to get Livy out of his mind. He wants to get to know her better . . . but Livy isn’t willing to trust any man, especially not a lawman.

Get to know Pam...

What are the names of your pets? If you don't have any, what would you name your pets?
Our dog Dakota is a off-white colored black mouth cur. She’s a rescue dog that my son got from a pet rescue service when he was in college. At some point, she became my dog. I can’t even remember why she ended up at our house. She’s pretty protective of her space here on the farm. Our previous dog, Ruby, was a chocolate Lab. Ruby loved people and went to church 4 times a week. Our church is at the end of our ½ mile long driveway, so she knew when church was about “to commence” because of the cars, and she rarely missed a service. Ruby hated other cats and dogs with a passion, though, so she was the only one we had for years. She was really old when we got Dakota, and she tolerated the new dog. But, having Dakota made it a bit easier when we lost Ruby a year or so later. Dakota likes other animals, but doesn’t like people she doesn’t know. Both Ruby and Dakota had their share of adorable puppies, and I would have kept them all. I contented myself with taking lots of pictures.

Cats or dogs or both?
I’m a farm girl, so I love both cats and dogs. Growing up, I was more of a cat lover, but in the last few years, we’ve had more dogs than cats. My books usually have a cat or a dog, and several have had litters of puppies and kittens. There’s a litter of kittens in Stealing Jake, and Livy is a bit nervous about the whole process of birth because of a terrible experience with her sister, and she becomes a bit overwrought during the birth of the kittens. I wrote the scene from my own experiences. I’m a bit overprotective when the animals go into labor.

What’s one thing you must have in the morning?
Coffee from my Keurig. I won’t say I must have it, but it sure is nice. Every morning, I get up, feed Dakota who starts whining at the back door the minute she hears me, then I make myself a cup of coffee in the Keurig. I just love that little one-cup coffee pot. I don’t always have the same flavor. It might be Hazelnut, Colombian mild, or Vanilla Biscotti, or something else. I tend to try new flavors depending on how delicious the name sounds! I sip my coffee while checking email and planning my day.

The Case of the Bouncing Grandma
by Alice K. Arenz


September 2, 2015
Forget Me Not Romances, A Division of Winged Publications

Has Glory hit her head one too many times, or was there really a foot dangling out of that carpet?

Reduced to watching new neighbors move in as a form of amusement, Glory Harper is stuck in a wheelchair with a broken leg, bored, and itching for some excitement. She just doesn’t expect it to come in the form of a foot dangling out the back of a carpet as it’s carried into her new neighbor’s house. The problem is getting someone to believe her.

The moment police recognize Glory as the woman whose misadventures have given her a sketchy reputation, her believability quotient lowers considerably. Just when she thinks someone’s taking her seriously, Glory realizes Detective Rick Spencer, a Harrison Ford look alike, appears more interested in her than in her story.

But, while she’s looking in what seems the obvious direction to solve this mystery, the real criminals are hot on her trail.  

Get to know Alice...

Favorite place you’ve traveled to?
Returning to Alaska, where I’d lived the first part of my childhood. It only took 35 years to get there and I was only able to stay two days, but they were two AWESOME days. That was a long time ago now. I’m glad I’d had the opportunity to do it when I did, because my health wouldn’t allow me to do it now.

What's one chore you hate doing?  
I hate dusting---it seems so pointless. No sooner have you gotten rid of the dust and turned around, it’s back again. Um . . . it’s that way with a lot of things. But we gotta do what we gotta do.

Name one song/artist you're embarrassed you like.  
Ok, The Monkees ZILCH. I guess that ages me, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment