Monday, September 28, 2015

Myra Johnson + Richard Mabry | New Novel News




The Sweetest Rain
by Myra Johnson

September 18, 2015
Franciscan Media
Purchase: The Sweetest Rain

As the drought of 1930 burns crops to a crisp, Bryony Linwood will do whatever it takes to ensure her family’s survival. When she accepts employment at the Heath mansion, it’s just a job at first, a means to ward off destitution until the drought ends and Grandpa’s farm is prosperous again. But Bryony’s forced optimism and dogged determination disguise a heart as dry and despairing as the scorched earth . . . until she forms a friendship with the plantation owner’s reclusive son, Michael, and is entranced by his beautiful botanical illustrations. As their relationship deepens, friendship soon blossoms into healing for wounded souls and a love that can’t be denied.


Get to know Myra...
 
If your book became a movie, who would you cast for your main characters?
It’s hard for me to begin writing until I have some clear images of my central characters, so I like to find photos online that come close to how I picture the characters. As I started brainstorming The Sweetest Rain, I pictured a young Liv Tyler as Bryony and Matt Bomer (wearing glasses) as Michael. I was delighted when the Franciscan Media art department captured Bryony so well without any input other than how she was described in the book!

Who is your favorite secondary character from this novel?
Secondary characters do have a way of stealing the show, and I often get attached to mine. Sometimes they’re even more fun to write about than the hero and heroine! In The Sweetest Rain, I’d have to say my favorite is Odette, the cook for the Heath family. She’s quite opinionated and will speak her mind when necessary (or at least when it won’t get her into too much trouble), and she’s loyal to a fault.

What’s one thing you must have in the morning?
Enough time to wake up. Yes, it’s true. I am NOT a morning person! From the time I roll out of bed until I have enough brain power to be moderately functional takes a good 90 minutes to two hours. First comes breakfast, then a pot of Earl Grey with the morning paper and Good Morning America. By the time I’ve worked through the daily crossword puzzle and Sudoku, the brain cells are beginning to fire. Then, and only then, do I feel ready to sit down at the computer and begin my writing day!

 Miracle Drug
by Richard L. Mabry, M.D.

September 15, 2015
Abingdon Press
Purchase: Miracle Drug

The infection wasn’t supposed to happen, but it did. The treatment was supposed to take care of it, but it didn’t. Then Dr. Josh Pearson discovered why—the patients had another infection, one that was universally fatal. The only chance for their survival was treatment with an experimental drug, but the manufacturer might already have discarded its supply.

The stakes were high because the patients were the former President of the United States and a nurse with whom Josh was falling in love. The situation was bad and getting worse by the minute. Overcoming all this would take more than a miracle drug—it would take a miracle.

Get to know Richard...

Favorite place you’ve traveled to?
Probably the Black Forest of Germany. Lovely hotel there, enjoyed walking in the area (although Kay almost got us lost when we walked through the woods. I thought I was the only one who could say, “I know a short-cut,” but be wrong).

Share one pet peeve you have 
People who don’t know how to handle a four-way stop sign where two streets converge. Some don’t stop, some don’t know when to go, and some just sit there talking on their cell phones, oblivious of other people.

Coffee or tea? 
Two cups of coffee in the morning (half-caf), maybe a glass of iced tea once a month with a meal. Otherwise, water or a diet soft drink.


Make sure you leave a comment for these wonderful authors. I'm sooo excited they each offered to give away a copy of their new releases. Make sure you let me know if you have a preference. If not, you'll be entered in to both :)

::WINNER::




Carol Smith

Congratulations Carol! I'll be sending you and email so we can get you your copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment