Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Brenda S. Anderson {Writer Wednesday}

A little bit about Brenda...

Brenda S. Anderson writes gritty and authentic, life-affirming fiction. She is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW), and is currently President of the ACFW Minnesota chapter, MN-NICE. When not reading or writing, she enjoys music, theater, roller coasters, and baseball, and she loves watching movies with her family. She lives in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area with her husband of 28 years, their three children, and one sassy cat.

How to connect with Brenda...

Website: http://brendaandersonbooks.com/
Blog: http://brendaandersonbooks.com/blog/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/BrendaSAnderson
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrendaSAndersonAuthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrendaSAnders_n
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+BrendaAndersonAuthor/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/brendabanderson/
Purchase: Hungry For Home


Author Interview | Brenda Anderson

You and Writing

Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
...I’ve been a writer for as long as I can remember. Back in grade school, I even wrote plays that our class put on for the rest of the school. But I didn’t pursue my dream of writing a novel until ten years ago. I was a stay at home mother at the time, and our kids were finally all in school full time. I had a choice of writing or getting a job. I chose writing, and I haven’t stopped. I’m also blessed to have full support from my husband and family. They keep me going.

Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?
...Oh boy, each book is special for different reasons, but I’d have to say my favorite is Memory Box Secrets. I love the complexity of the story and subplots and how they all weave together at the end. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to write one like that again.

If published, what was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?

...I was initially published by a small press that is now defunct. The hardest part was making the quick transition from traditionally pubbed to indie pubbed as I was in the middle of the series.

Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?
...My upcoming release, Hungry for Home, is the final book in my Coming Home series. It’s about a woman who is mugged by a homeless teen. Instead of pressing charges, the woman and her husband take that teen into their home. I wrote this after I learned of the startling number of homeless teens in my county. Telling this story is one way to increase awareness of this problem.

Here’s the back cover blurb:

After a troubling encounter with a pregnant teen, Sheila Peterson-Brooks hurries from the crisis pregnancy center into the frigid Minnesota winter where she is mugged and left for dead. After a frantic search, Richard, her husband, finds her, and the police quickly nab the mugger …

A hungry, homeless teen.
The brother of the pregnant girl Sheila had just counseled.

The girl pleads for her brother, and Sheila and Richard choose not to press charges. Instead, they open their home to the boy, a move that could cost them their possessions, and their hearts.

And, in the process, teach them the true meaning of home.

Do you have a favorite character in this work? If so, why?
...A favorite character would have to be Austin Lang, the homeless teen. In order to write him authentically, I had to really get into his skin, know why he was homeless, how he survived, what, if anything, he planned to do about his situation. He taught me so much about seeing life from his different perspective, one I thankfully have never experienced personally.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...That a home isn’t held together by four walls, but by the faith and love of the family living within the home.
Writing

Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...Most of my stories are centered around modern-day issues. It’s my goal to see those issues from all perspectives, and write a well-rounded story around the characters.

When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?
...I love to write stories that resonate with the reader and make them think and see life from a new perspective.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
...Write what’s on your heart and your passion will show through your stories.




You

When you get an idea for a novel, what is the first thing that you do?
...I mull it over in my head for days, weeks, sometimes months, trying to see if the story will grow or fall flat. If I can get the first chapters worked out in my head, and know where I want to end up, then I’ll write the story.

September is Classical Music Month (who knew?). In keeping with that theme, do you have a favorite character from a classical novel?
...I didn’t know that, and I love classical music! No doubt my favorite character is Jane Eyre. She’s an atypical heroine, which I love.

What is your favorite fall snack food?
...It’s probably cliché, but I do love candy corn, especially the corn that’s chocolate on the bottom. :)

__________________________

Thank you so much for being on the blog Brenda. I am with you on thinking about new story ideas. Sometimes I get so distracted thinking about a plot! Great choice on your favorite charter - I really love that novel as well. Readers, make sure you leave a comment for Brenda to enter to win an ebook copy of Hungry for Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment