Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Linda J. White {Writer Wednedsay}

A little bit about Linda...

--> Linda J. White is a former journalist. She writes FBI thrillers from her home in rural Virginia. Her husband worked at the FBI Academy for over 27 years. She has three traditionally published novels out, including the HOLT Medallion-winning “Seeds of Evidence.” Her fourth novel, “Battered Justice,” is an Indie.
How to connect with Linda...

Website: lindajwhite.com
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/lindajwhite
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LindaJWhiteBooks?ref=hl 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/rytn4hm 
Purchase: Battered Justice

Author Interview  | Linda J. White

--> You and Writing

Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing? ...Twenty years ago, recovering from knee surgery, I had an idea for a story in the middle of the night: What if a confident, self-assured FBI agent had his life spin out of control when he son was kidnapped by the drug gang he’d been investigating? I told my husband about it the next day, and (bless him!) he said, “That’s a great story! You ought to write it.”

...Yeah, sure. Me? A mom at home?

....He was a video producer/director at the FBI Academy and began taking me over there and introducing me to agents. They were so helpful! A year later, I had a novel on my computer. It was amazing.

Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?
...I have to say, “The Tiger’s Cage,” that first book, is still my favorite. Yes, I’ve learned a lot and I am a better writer now, but what can I say? It was my first baby!

What was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?
...The hardest thing about publishing is the inevitable disappointments. So much is out of a writer’s control. Waiting for contracts, then patiently accepting the rejects and downturns in the market, is tough.

...The easiest, for me, is writing—getting lost in a book I’m working on.

--> Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about your book. Why did you write it?
...“Battered Justice” takes two FBI agents from my first published book, “Bloody Point,” and extends their story. Jake, a non-custodial father of two, remains determined to be a great dad and a terrific agent. Those goals conflict, and when a case he and his partner, Cass, are investigating gives indication his ex-wife’s new husband, Senator Westfield, is corrupt, life really gets complicated.

...“Battered Justice” deals with both domestic abuse and injustice. I wanted to explore both issues. And I couldn’t get “Bloody Point’s” characters out of my head! However, my agent and I agreed no traditional publisher would take it, so I self-published “Battered Justice.”

Do you have a favorite character in this work?
...I love Jake’s masculine tension and his secret love for Cass.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...“Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, and he will exalt you in due time.” From I Peter 5:6.

Writing

Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...Hmmm… my sister gave be a sweatshirt with an applique that reads, “Watch out or I’ll put you in my novel!” I have to say I have drawn characteristics from people I know and combined them into unique characters. Just one character—Aunt Trudy—in “Bloody Point” is actually based on a real person. I got her permission to do so. Her story is amazing.
 

...I am close friends with a number of FBI agents, and many more have shared stories or their expertise with me over the years. One said to me, “You’ve gone over to the dark side! You’re thinking like an agent.” That was a compliment!

...The stories may come from the news (I was an editorial writer for thirteen years) or just from my head.


When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?
...My goal is to share my passion for Christ through “white-knuckle fiction.” I want to create books that keep readers up all night. And I want to depict characters struggling with the same spiritual questions we all do.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
...Persist. If God calls you to writing, then just keep writing. 




You

What is your favorite activity during the summer?  
...The beach! And a lot of my novels are set on or near the water.
What are you currently reading?
...“Ordinary,” by Tony Merida, and four books on dogs (research!).

Apparently August 15th is National Lemon Meringue Pie Day (who knew). What is your favorite dessert?
...I don’t do dessert much any more! 

 ________________________________
Thanks so much for being on the blog again Linda! Readers, I've had the pleasure of meeting Linda a few times in person and she's the best. I'm so excited she's offering a copy of Battered Justice here. Remember, I'm on vacation so I won't be able to respond to your comments but NOT TO FEAR - I will read them all :)

As for last week's winner, the contest is closed as of today (August 26th) but I will announce the winner of Nadine's book on Saturday when I get back from the coast. This post was scheduled and I won't have any way to update it. Thanks for understanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment