Wednesday, August 5, 2015

J. S. Bailey {Writer Wednesday}

A little bit about J.S. ...

As a child J. S. Bailey escaped to fantastic worlds through the magic of books and began to write as soon as she could pick up a pen. She dabbled in writing science fiction until she discovered supernatural suspense novels and decided to write her own. Today her stories focus on unassuming characters who are thrown into terrifying situations which may or may not involve ghosts, demons, and evil old men. She believes that good should always triumph in the end.

Bailey's novel SERVANT released in 2014. She is also the author of Rage's Echo, The Land Beyond the Portal, Weary Traveler, and Vapors. She lives with her husband in Cincinnati, Ohio.
How to connect with  J.S. ...

--> Website: www.jsbaileywrites.com
Blog: http://jsbaileywrites.blogspot.com 
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/JSBailey
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jsbaileywrites
Contributor: www.readwritemuse.com
Purchase: Servant

Author Interview | J. S. Bailey

--> You & Writing

Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing? 
...I began writing when I was in kindergarten. I have no memory of what first possessed me to pick up a pen, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that my mother often read me stories. I also began reading before I started kindergarten. Something about those stories must have sparked my imagination and inspired me to begin writing my own.

Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?
...My favorite novel so far is Rage’s Echo because it’s so close to my heart. It’s a story about the spirit of a murder victim who follows a paranormal investigator home one night. (He longs to be able to move on to heaven but also wishes to get revenge on the people who killed him.) It’s the first time I ever “bled on the page” while writing, and I think the story shows it.

If published, what was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?
...The hardest part of having a story published is that it goes out into the world, where it’s beyond my control. People will read it. Some will love it. Some won’t. There’s always going to be that uncertainty no matter how many stories I write, and that’s normal. I just have to let it go and keep on writing!

...Wait, is there supposed to be an easy part? ;)

--> Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about your book. Why did you write it?
...My most recent novel, Servant, is the first novel in a new series I’m working on: The Chronicles of Servitude. Bobby Roland, Servant’s twenty-year-old protagonist, is plagued with premonitions of disaster whenever someone he knows is going to be killed, and it’s up to Bobby to jump in and save them. What he doesn’t foresee is that saving one man’s life places him in the line of fire in a madman’s plot to kill the Servant, a man chosen by God to drive out demons from the possessed. Bobby must choose between using his gift to save others or to save himself.

Do you have a favorite character in this work? If so, why?
...I have to say that Bobby is my favorite character. He’s shy and socially awkward but still fights for what he believes in even though it makes him so uncomfortable. (Come to think of it, he’s kind of like me.) ;)

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...One theme of Servant is people using their God-given abilities in order to help others. It’s my hope that readers will be able to identify their own gifts and use them as Bobby uses his.

Writing

Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...Inspiration comes from everywhere: movies, books, the news, and the people around me. Rage’s Echo, for example, was inspired by a ghost story a friend told me, the movie Field of Dreams, the Kansas song “Carry On Wayward Son,” the soundtrack from Sweeney Todd, and my personal entourage of inner demons.

When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?
...I hope to inspire people and make them think, but hopefully my stories entertain them, too!

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
...Keep writing, but keep learning, too. Don’t just put words on the page. Put words on the page that mean something.

You

What is your favorite activity during the summer?
...Hiking! Some of my favorite spots are the Smoky Mountains and Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio.

What are you currently reading?
...As of this writing, I’m reading The Queen by Steven James, who writes some pretty darn awesome thrillers. I swear the man is a criminal genius.

Apparently August 15th is National Lemon Meringue Pie Day (who knew). What is your favorite dessert?
...Chocolate cake. Now I want some…

__________________________

Thanks so much for being my guest! Okay, so readers--this is the power of the internet! I met J.S. via Goodreads! How cool is that? She reached out to me and I'll be reviewing Servant soon (my TBR pile is quite ridiculous at this point). I'm so happy to share new authors with you and trust me, I'm always on the look out ;)

Anyway, thank you so much J.S. for being a guest here. I think your stories sound fantastic and I love how you say to writers to not just put words on a page but to use words "that mean something". Yes! I also love Steven James and chocolate cake - so I think we were destinied to be friends!
__________________________

::WINNER::

I had the lovely Cathy Elliott on the blog last week and she offered a copy of A Vase of Mistaken Identity as a giveaway. Our lucky winner is...

Deanne Patterson

Congratulations Deanne! I"ll be in contact with you to get you your book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment