Monday, October 20, 2014

What to do when you're not feeling the NaNo | NaNoWriMo Prep (part 3)

Burn out. Tiredness. Writers block. (gasp!)

It happens to all of us, but when you're in the midst of Nano you do not want to deal with any of these things - or a multitude of other issues you could face. No writer likes to be uninspired...it almost feels as if your creativity is betraying you. Laughing at your lack of ability to write.

Well, I'm here to tell you today that there is no such thing as writers block...

Oh wait, no. Oops. I'm not here to tell you that. That's a real thing. *Cringes* But I am here to tell you that it's okay.

Maybe that's not what you wanted to hear? But it's true. Yes - there will likely come a time when  you are "blocked". Maybe you're not sure how your character will get out of a certain situation? Or maybe your main character suddenly has a heart attack and dies (not preferable at all).

The beauty of NaNoWriMo is that those things are perfectly all right! You know what you do then? You write on.

But it's terrible writing. 
But I no longer have a main character. 
But I can't figure out her motivation. 
But...

You get the point. And what do you do? Write on. Just like Dr. Who is recommending here >>>

You may wonder what I'm getting at. There are plenty of times when published authors are not inspired. What do they do? Sit in a corner an sulk? Probably not. Though mabye they do...?

I'm basically trying to point out that, if they can overcome not being inspired, then so can you!
What you do with lack of inspiration is the important thing.
Here are 5 things that I recommend you attempt when you're at the burn out stage or even the writers block stage. They aren't guaranteed to "fix" everything, but they may help you gain back some of your inspiration, and if not - they can give you strength to keep on writing, despite the dry creative desert you may be in.

5 Ways To Gain Inspiration

1. Take a walk
I don't know about you, but I love being outdoors. The feel of wind on my face, the sun shining or clouds...clouding? Yeah. But, being outside is so invigorating. When I'm feeling stuck, I often like to take a walk and look around me. People watching is a great way to gain inspiration, but also looking at nature reminds us that God is creative too. Pair this with # 5 and  you've got a great combination for inspiration. (Did that sound cheesy or what?)

2. Read a book
No. I'm not saying "steal ideas" but I am saying be inspired by good writing. Often, I will subconsciously learn through the books that I'm reading (another reason it's so important to read authors in your genre and authors who's writing you love). Let their words encourage you - and remember, they had off days (weeks, months, years) too!

3. Plan, plot, proceed
When I say "write on" I really do mean it. But, Emilie, you protest, I'm uninspired!  I hear you, and I sympathize, but I will play the unaffected drill sergeant and say, "I don't care if you're uninspired, I want you to WRITE!" Plan out where you're going - even if it's not thrilling to you at the moment. Plot your hero/heroin's next moves. And proceed! Yes, it maybe awful writing but I have a feeling sooner rather than later you'll be on a roll again. Inspiration is funny like that. Fleeting for a few moments but quickly found when you least expect it.

4. Talk it out
This is where those writing buddies I mentioned before come in. Complain to them. Do a little whining. Maybe even bash your characters to them, but then talk it out. Have them help you gain back that inspiration or burst through that writers block. Even if you don't like their ideas, you may find yourself back on track due to their influence.

5. Pray
We write for more than just ourselves. Bearing the burden of ideas and the words to carry them out is a gift. You may feel like you're "just writing a novel" for NaNoWriMo, but it's so much more than that. When all else fails, take time to refocus your heart. Even a silly little novel written for Nano can become something amazing.





Are you encouraged my friends? Make sure to come back to this post if you find yourself drowning in the midst of November. We'll all probably hit a wall here and there, but these things can help when you feel like your creative well has momentarily dried up.

What do you do to gain inspiration?

***Check out last week's post here. And part 1 here.


No comments:

Post a Comment