Monday, June 16, 2014

Last Day Reflections

Staff at Cornerstone Church
Last days are hard.

They involve last minute loose ends, packing up your personal belongings, and saying goodbye. I don't like the saying goodbye part (or the rest of it for that matter!).

Last Thursday was my last day as Office Manager at Cornerstone Church in Santa Clarita. All the staff (pictured above minus Caitlin) had lunch and enjoyed final laughs and inside jokes all while avoiding the fact that I was leaving. Maybe I was the only one avoiding the thought...?

Once all of the laughter was done and the goodbyes were said, we all headed off in separate directions to meetings and various work activities. It was then, when the silence of my car surrounded me, that it really hit.

I'm really leaving...
 
For the last three years I've poured myself into my job at Cornerstone and have loved it! Not to say there weren't challenges - anything that's truly worth it always comes with challenges - but, it's so strange to be on the opposite side of it now. I joke and say I'm "unemployed" (as I am for about a month or so) but the truth is that I will really miss working with the staff (including the ladies hired to take my place) and for my church body.

This departing has reminded me of a saying by Jim Elliot:

Printable Decor

It may sound simple, but it's true. I've been "all there" at my job (or tried to be) and there are no regrets for late nights or difficult projects. It was all part of the job, but more deeply than that, it was part of my service to the Lord. The same goes for anyone in any job at any level of skill. No matter if you are fry cook, dentist, politician, or church worker, your service is to God first and foremost. It really changes your outlook (or at least it did for me).

I'm at home now, spending a few weeks relaxing--ok, I'll be honest and say I've been working like crazy on blog stuff, photos, and freelancing hehe--but really trying to take it 'easy' (or easier?) in order to be able to continue to put in 110% for the next job that God calls me to.
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
- 1 Corinthians 10:31
What do you think? What is one way that you find helps you to give 110% in all that you do? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment