Monday, April 14, 2014

Popcorn, Toast, and a Trip to D.C.

View from the Robert E. Lee house at the Arlington National Cemetery

I'm going to admit right off the bat that last week I ate popcorn and toast for dinner. Oh the shame. But the toast was quite good and I'm a popcorn fanatic so it's really not that strange...well, for me at least.

Em & Jenn at Arlington Cemetary
In addition to my strange, nightly eating habits, I also took a trip to Washington D.C. this last weekend. As it is, I'm currently sitting in a lovely coffee shop right around the corner from my hotel enjoying a cup of coffee (I'm never far from caffeinated wonderful-ness) and the company of my roommate Jennifer (Jenn to those who know her well). We're killing some time before we're picked up by the shuttle that will take us to the airport. I'm looking forward to the dedicated reading time I'll enjoy while flying back ;)

I'm trying to process this whole trip. 

The Metro: An Experience
It's been full of new adventures, sightseeing, my first attempt at public transportation (I'm getting the hang of it!), and meeting new people. All in all, it's been amazing and yet tiring because, for me, it's a lot to process. I mean, this is the city I'll be moving to, but it hardly seems real to me. Like some type of complex math problem I haven't figured out yet (I never did well in math class).

I think one thing that has become clear to me is that a step like this isn't without complications or fear. I don't mean fear in a debilitating way, but fear that comes from the unknown. No one likes to jump from a great height without knowing what's going to meet them at the bottom. No one enjoys making decisions without knowing all of the facts.

Me with the memorial & reflecting pool in back
And at the same time, that's exactly what the Lord is asking me to do (to a certain extent). I may not know all of the details or see the whole picture, but He's asking me to trust that He does know them. Many verses come to mind about this:
... trust in the Lord with all your heart...those who know your name will trust in You...when I am afraid, I will trust in You...he who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe...trust in the Lord forever...do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God... may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him...
I guess you could say I'm flooded with an eerie calm. I'm existing in a state that is at once cautious and calculating as it is excited and filled with anticipation. I know the challenges to come - finding [affordable] housing being top of of list - but I must place my trust in Him before anything else.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:4-9
I'm clinging to these verses and anticipating the adventures to come.
Reflecting pool and memorial (crowded due to the Cherry Blossom Festival)

If you're interested in keeping up with my D.C. adventures, check out the tab above (the one that says D.C. Bound) to sign up for my newsletter.  Or you can click [here].

Also, if you are interested in receiving my support letter and learning more about why I'm D.C. bound, feel free to email me here or you can use the contact form on the left hand side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment