Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Paula Mowery {Writer Wednesday}

A little bit about Paula...

Paula Mowery is a published author, acquisitions editor, and speaker. Her first two published works were The Blessing Seer and Be The Blessing from Pelican Book Group. Both are women’s fiction, and their themes have been the topics of speaking engagements. In November of 2013, her first romance released in the anthology, Brave New Century, from Prism Book Group. Legacy and Love is her first solo romance. Reviewers of her writing characterize it as “thundering with emotion.” Her articles have appeared in Woman’s World, The Christian Online Magazine, and the multi-author devotional blog, Full Flavored Living.

As an acquisitions editor for Prism Book Group, Paula particularly looks for romance stories with Christian values at its core. She’s especially attracted to those manuscripts that leave the reader mulling over the story long after turning the last page.

Having been an avid reader of Christian fiction, she now puts that love to use by writing book reviews. She is a member of ACFW and is on the author interview team.

Paula is a pastor’s wife and mom to a first year college student. She homeschooled her daughter through all twelve years, and they both lived to tell about it. Before educating her daughter at home, she was an English teacher in public school.

How to connect with Paula...

Blog: www.paulamowery.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Paula-Mowery/175869562589187
Second blog for Christian writers: www.ccwcu.blogspot.com
Author Interview | Paula Mowery

You and Writing

What is one book or resource you would recommend to other writers? Why?
...I find myself most often recommending The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass and Rivet Your Readers with Deep POV by Jill Elizabeth Nelson. Maass’ book is one of the most practical I have found to help polish your manuscript. He explains about a given topic like tension, gives examples from actual novels, and gives pointed exercises to implement into your own work. The only warning I give to this book is that some of his example passages contain profanity.

...Nelson’s book is such a good resource for making sure you are staying in the POV and making it the best experience for your readers to get into that character. She also gives examples and exercises to hone your POV writing skills.

Share a writing-related milestone with us? 
...Legacy and Love is my fourth published work. The distinguishing characteristic about this book is that it is my first solo romance. My first two books were considered women’s fiction. My third was a historical romance story within an anthology. So, Legacy and Love’s release is quite special to me. I have actually written more Christian romance than any other genre and hope this is just the beginning of romance releases for me.

How do you balance your time between writing and other actives? Any helpful tips, tricks, or suggestions?
...My life is definitely a balancing act. I am a pastor’s wife and work part-time in a public school Pre-K to earn that all-important tuition for my daughter’s college. I am an acquisitions editor for Prism Book Group as well as writing my own manuscripts. Throw in a couple of blogs and a magazine column with the occasional speaking engagement and you’ve got a full plate! Those who know me, know that I am fanatical about organization. This is the only way I get everything accomplished. I have a very detailed calendar, more like a teacher plan book, on my desk. I write down every deadline and times to work on those. When life intervenes unexpectedly, I rearrange in my planner to make sure everything gets done. 
 
Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about the book.
...Legacy and Love contains two contemporary Christian romances connected by the godly influence of a grandmother on the main heroines.

What was one trial you faced when writing it? One success?
...The story, Inheritance, went through so many revisions that I lost count. I struggled with how to begin this story and how much of Granny Olivia to include. Several readers fell in love with the grandmother figure which made it hard to chop many of the scenes with her out. But, after realizing that an editor had wisely pushed me, the story fell into place.
Who is your favorite character and why?
...The grandmothers in each story have become favorites even though they aren’t even main characters. However, their influence shines throughout the stories. This was special to me because I feel the influence of my grandmothers still shining through my life today.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...I pray that others will see how important it is to be intentional about the godly legacy we leave.

You

Favorite writing snack:
...I’m laughing because I just had this very snack while writing last night – Cheese-its, Peanut Butter M&M’s, and Diet Dr. Pepper. Strange combo but it gets me through.

Book you’re reading right now:
...I read several books because of the review column I write for an online Christian magazine. Currently, I’m reading an anthology called Sincerely Yours by Jane Kirkpatrick, Amanda Cabot, Laurie Alice Eakes, and Ann Shorey. Before this one, I just finished Christy Barritt’s Death of the Couch Potato’s Wife and Janice Thompson’s Picture Perfect.

If you could go anywhere in the world for one month (for free) where would it be and why? 
...Now, this is going to be an interesting answer. I actually have the dream to have a cabin/treehouse in the Smoky Mountains for a writing retreat. We live only about an hour to an hour and a half from the Smokies. It is my dream to have this place to slip away to at any time to just write write write. I love my mountains and grew up hiking and splashing in the creeks there. There would just be no more perfect backdrop or spot to escape to.

__________________________
Thank you so much for joining me on the blog again Paula! It's been a pleasure getting to catch up with you. Love your thoughts on being organized in order to help with the busy nature of life - I am a crazy organized person (most of the time) and I know it definitely helps! And, I am right there with you in reading several books at once. It get's a little difficult at times, not keeping them straight because they are all so very individual, but splitting up my time :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment