Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Lesson in Trust

As I sat listening to the rain last night, I reflected on the fact that God knows where each of those little raindrops fall.  He knows the number of grains of sand on the beach.  He knows each of our hearts. 

This was (and still is) a huge comfort to me in the wake of tragedies like what happened in Connecticut as well as things that have hit more closely to home for me in the past few weeks.   There have been many tears and nights filled with worry lately.

Then on Thursday morning I read this passage in James:

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.


I was especially convicted by verses 6-8.  The Lord revealed to me that I was asking things of Him without any faith and I knew it because I would pray and then agonize over what I had just "turned over" to God.  It was as if I had opened up my hands, offered my worry and pain to Him, and then taken it right back. 

When I realized I had been doing this, I felt a huge weight lifted.  By diagnosing the problem, I was able to see the solution.  God tells us to ask in faith which means to trust Him.  As I realized this, the words to one of my favorite verses came to mind, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart" (Proverbs 3:5a).  If I'm being ruled by anxiety and worry, I'm not trusting and I will be "driven and tossed by the wind". 

Life is difficult and uncertain, but one thing is true - when we put our trust in the Lord, the God who created the universe and who sent His Son to reconcile a people for Himself, we put our trust in the only thing that can really help us.  It will do no good to turn to politics, or people, or laws, or even to morals.  None of these things will give us true justice or peace. 

I am praying for those who have been affected by this terrible tragedy - praying for peace for them, for those around them to love them with Christs love, and for God's name to be lifted high in the wake of heartache and loss during what should be a season of love and giving.

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
 
~Isaiah 9:6~

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry you have been going through a rough time. I know those are the time when God can truly touch us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! It's been tough, but God is so good and is teaching me so much :) I wouldn't have it any other way!

      Delete