Friday, July 17, 2020

August Story Title Announcement



So I'm writing a book in August...

I thought now would be a fun to announce the (working) title of the novella I'll be writing right here on the blog as well as a bit about it. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, see this post.


Welcome to the circus - a space circus, that is! 

This whole concept for the full-length novel started off probably five or so years ago. I was on a walk (where I get and formulate most of my ideas) listening to music and it popped into my head. A circus...but in space! I believe everything is better in space, to be honest, but the more I thought about the world (and the story behind this concept) the more I realized it had elements of fantasy to it - dare I say a little like Star Wars? I know, I can't really draw that comparison because Star Wars is just epic and timeless...but I hope it paints a picture in your head of how you can combine the two genres a little.

When I began chatting with Christen and my other critique partner Natalie I realized that a prequel to the actual story would be soooooo fun to write. It would also give me a chance to flesh out a lot more of the world before hand so that when I finally get to write the actual story, I have done some of the work already. You're welcome, future Emilie. 

From mxdwn.com

To give you an idea of the prequel (and subsequent story) I'd say it's The Greatest Showman meets Escaping From Houdini...in space! 

The best part? It's a traveling circus hosted on a spaceship!!! My little sci-fi heart is bursting right now - can you tell? 

Don't get me wrong, I love me some sci-fi, but as the current book I'm working on is actually a YA fantasy, it's so much fun to co-mingle these ideas a little and just have fun creating a story with characters I hope you'll fall in love with. 

As for the working title, I'm calling it: Suspended in the Stars. 

Next week I'll reveal one of the main characters and a little bit about her along with "her aesthetic". But I can tell you right now...galaxy everything! *hehe*

Something to note: 

You may not have much experience with YA Science Fiction, but I'd beg ask you to consider still trying out the story. You may surprise yourself and find that you don't mind it 😉 Or it could prove that you really don't like this genre and that's okay (haha). Either way, I'll do my best to make it as accessible as possible. 

5 comments:

  1. This sounds SO EXCITING!!! Can't wait to follow along with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Teresa! I'm stoked about it too!

      Delete
  2. I’ll admit that I’m usually not a science fiction or fantasy genre reader, but this book sounds amazing. You had me at space circus. I can’t wait to follow along with the prequel and then binge the book when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks! I know that it's not everyone's 'cup of tea' but here's hoping I can still make it something people would want to read :D Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  3. I can't say this type of genre is my cup of tea cause I normally love reading romance. I will look forward to see how your book comes about.

    I am also taking take in you blog your own book challenge. I am going to start blogging here. http://spare-timebizdomination.blogspot.com/. I don't have any blog posts up as yet.

    ReplyDelete