Wednesday, January 9, 2013

K. Dawn Byrd {Writer Wednesday}

For this Writer Wednesday we have the pleasure of hearing from K. Dawn Byrd. She is an author of inspirational novels in several genres, including, historical, suspense, romance, and young adult. Some of her favorite things are chocolate, cars, and her pets. Her hobbies include reading, writing, and riding down country roads in the passenger seat of her husband's Corvette Stingray. When asked why she writes, her response is, "For the simple joy of placing words on the page!"

Author Interview | K. Dawn Byrd

[K had some questions prepared so they will differ slightly from previous interviews.]
What would you like readers to take away from your book?

...Double Identity is a young adult book about two identical twins, one a Christian, one a non-believer. I'd like for the reader to take away that no matter what happens, God is with us. Also, people need to learn to trust their hearts.

Why did you choose to write this book?
...I thought it would be fun to explore what it would be like to have an identical twin. Of course, a young woman's boyfriend would love how she looked. Would the fact that someone else looks just like her make her insecure?

What did you learn while writing this book?

...I learned that being an identical twin can be hard!

What is the toughest test you've faced as a writer?

...Finding time to write. I work a full-time job and also a lot of weekends, which means that I have to be really devoted to my writing time. I set aside at least an hour every night, six days a week if possible. The fact that I start with a well-developed plot makes things move faster.

Which books on writing have been the most helpful to you and why?

...It's not really a book, but I'll tell you about it anyway. Margie Lawson's on-line classes made more impact on me and my writing style that anything else I've ever studied. They're very affordable too!

What accomplishment(s) are you most proud of, writing-related or not?
...I'm proud of earning a master degree in professional counseling from Liberty University. I believe this degree helps me to understand my characters better and what makes them tick.

What kind of planning do you do before writing a novel?

...I fill out character sketches in order to get to know my characters better. I ask myself what their goals are, what motivates them, and what's keeping them from reaching their goals. Sometimes, I start by writing a synopsis. This gives me information about the plot as it develops. I usually have a pretty strong plot before I actually begin the story.

What are your favorite writing conferences and why?
...The ACFW conference is my favorite because I absolutely love the worship. It blesses my heart. It's also really nice to chat with like-minded people.

Why do you write?
...I write because I can't stop. It's more than a hobby, it's a passion. It's the most fun I've ever had in my life!


Are you a plotter or a pantzer?
...A big time plotter. Because I write all of my books in 30-day marathons, I have to start with a thorough plot. That doesn't mean that sometimes the story doesn't take a life of it's own, surprising me when it takes me down a road I hadn't planned to travel.

What are you working on right now?
...I'm working on a thriller about a serial killer. It's a difficult story because there are several twists and turns and I have to be careful how I write it for everything to fall into place correctly.

What's next for you?
...I have three releases in 2012, all young adult. Something Beautiful in January. The Hot Line Girl in June. Luck of the Draw in November.

What would you be doing if you weren’t writing?...Probably still riding a Harley. I sold my bike in order to have more time to write. On weekends, I'd rather curl up with my laptop and the story in my head.

Tell us a little more about yourself , with three things not many people know about you.
...
a) I have a masters degree in professional counseling from Liberty University.
b) I'm an animal lover. I have two hairless Chinese Crested dogs, an African Gray parrot, three ferrets, and several aquariums in my home.
c) I love sour foods. I'd rather have olives, pickles, or dilly beans than something sweet sometimes.

Do you listen to music when you write and if so, what kind of music – or do you find it distracts you?
I must have total peace and quiet when I write. I hate it because it keeps me from writing sometimes when I'd like to.

What do you do for fun when not writing?
When not writing, I love to read. Romantic suspense or young adult novels are favorites.

Tell us about your latest release and what you think readers will enjoy about it.
...My latest release, Double Identity, was a lot of fun to write. I think readers will like it because it will keep them on the edge of their seats. When both twins fall for the same guy, who will he choose? How will he tell them apart?

If you were an animal, which one do you think you would be, and why? ...I'm not sure which animal I would be, but my step-daughter was recently joking and said that if she believed in reincarnation, she'd want to come back as one of my ferrets because I take such good care of them. That was the ultimate compliment!

What is your personal definition of success?
...My personal definition of success has nothing to do with money. To me, a successful person is one who is happy and enjoys life.

How can readers get in contact with you?
Email: kdawnbyrd@yahoo.com
Blog: www.kdawnbyrd.blogspot.com
Twitter: kdawnbyrd
Pinterest: kdawnbyrd
Facebook: kdawnbyrd

Plus, as an extra treat, on Friday I'll be posting a special peek at K's newest novel Double Identity! Make sure and check back then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment