Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Paula Mowery {Writer Wednesday}

Welcome back, readers, and happy New Year!!  I'm excited to introduce you to Paula Mowery for today's {Writer Wednesday} post. 

Here is a little bit about Paula....

Paula Mowery is a pastor’s wife and a homeschool mom. She has always been an avid reader of Christian fiction. She began writing in the area of nonfiction creating three Bible studies which were self-published. However, she crafted fiction stories which she shared with friends and family. When one of her readers encouraged her to pursue publication, she joined American Christian Fiction Writers, learning more about the world of fiction. Her debut work of fiction is a novella published by Harbourlight, a division of Pelican Book Group – THE BLESSING SEER.

About THE BLESSING SEER...
When God sends Addy a special messenger who challenges her to step from her comfort zone, she isn’t sure she’s up to the job. She feels inadequate to take on the task of encouraging others, and when she starts seeing visions, she worries she’s losing her mind.

Yet, Addy wants only to be used by God, even if that means seeing visions and risking relationships with family and friends. By stepping out on a limb, can Addy really accomplish something significant for God? What affect will her surrender to His will have on those around her? And, what affect will it have on her own life?

Learn more about Paula at her blog:
www.paulamowery.blogspot.com

Read more of her writing in her monthly columns on: www.christianonlinemagazine.com

Author Interview | Paula Mowery

You & Writing
 
Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
...My mother worked for a Christian bookstore, and she would bring me books to read and blank journals to write in. Back then I tried my hand at poetry, diary writing, and composing stories. After I married a pastor and became involved in women’s ministry, I wrote and self-published Bible studies. Still I had a love for reading Christian fiction and began to write an historical story which turned into a whole series. When some friends read my stories and enjoyed them, I kept going, chalking up more than fifteen manuscripts before I submitted one for publication. It seemed each time I completed a story, God had inspired another.

If published, what was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?  
...The hardest thing about publishing for me was waiting on God’s perfect timing and place. I tend to be an impatient sort. I literally prayed and laid out my fleece meaning I asked God for a sign that publishing was the way He wanted me to go. He gave me that sign and has worked in miraculous ways since I followed His leading and didn’t jump ahead.

Your Writing
 

Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?
...My debut novella, THE BLESSING SEER, is the result of mulling over the thought of blessings I might be missing by not being obedient or not asking. I, just like the main character, Addy, want more than anything to do something significant for God. I am now working on the contracted sequel in which Addy learns more about being available for God’s use through every circumstance. I am learning this too.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...I hope my readers will feel encouraged and maybe even challenged to follow in the call God has for them, utilizing the gifts and abilities they have been given.


Writing

Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...Being a pastor’s wife and a pregnancy crisis center devotion leader, I have witnessed so many inspirational stories. I draw from those real life stories as well as dream up a lot of things. I have a friend who told me once that she wanted to end up in the nursing home with me someday because with all of the characters and stories running around in my head, it would make for an interesting trip.

When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories? 

...When I write my overall intention is to inspire and encourage people toward a relationship with Jesus Christ. If they already have that relationship, I wish to urge them on into service.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing? 
...The first bit of advice I would give is if you are a Christian writer keep God first. You need to study His Word and have a quiet time with Him – this is priority. Then, connect with other writers through organizations like ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers). This online community has provided me courses to hone my skills and mentor authors to encourage me. Keep reading – so much can be learned by reading those authors that do it right. Write and publish small first – write an article even if you don’t get paid. This looks good when you send in a proposal to a publisher. Write. Write. Write. You’ll be amazed how your writing will improve just through practice. Read writing craft books. My new favorite is Rivet Your Readers With Deep POV by Jill Elizabeth Nelson.

You
 
What is your favorite snack to eat when writing?
...I have to have a diet soda of some kind. If I’m in the mood for salty, I like the little cracker Goldfish. If I’m in the mood for sweet, I’ve become addicted to Peanut Butter M&M’s, but I try not to have too many of these around. Bad for the middle.

Do you believe in New Year’s resolutions? If so, care to share one of yours?
...I do believe in resolutions, but only the ones that are reasonable. I suppose my New Year’s resolution associated with my writing would be that I would continue to seek God’s direction in this writing ministry He’s begun. Speaking engagement invitations have sprung out of this first book. I know that God has more in store for me to share through writing and speaking. I’m a firm believer in doing what God has called me to do. There might be one person out there that only I can reach.

What’s one thing you are looking forward to in 2013?
...I’m looking forward to my second book coming out. And, mostly I’m looking forward to seeing where this adventure God has me on will lead. I’m hangin’ on and enjoying the ride until I cross the finish line. See ya there!


Thank you Paula for that great interview!  I love your advice to writers seeking to publish - it is so important to always keep the Lord first in everything.  I hope that we can remember that.

So what about you, my readers?  Do you believe in New Year's resolutions?  If so, care to share them with me?  Comment below and make sure and look out for my New Year's post coming soon :)

3 comments:

  1. Great interview....I'll need to look for her book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about Paula and look forward to getting to know her and her books! Her story is encouraging for me. I'm also a pastor's wife who enjoys writing. This is my first time stopping by on this blog. I like it and I'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sally! Isn't Paula's story great? Welcome to you and I hope that you'll be back :)

      Delete