Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Anita Higman {Writer Wednesday}

My guest for today is author Anita Higman:
Best-selling and award-winning author, Anita Higman, has over thirty books published (several coauthored) for adults and children and has four more books releasing in 2013. She’s been a Barnes & Noble “Author of the Month” for Houston and has a BA degree, combining speech communication, psychology, and art. Anita loves good movies, exotic teas, and brunch with her friends.

How to connect with Anita...
Website: anitahigman.com
Facebook: Anita Higman - Reader Page
And on Twitter


Author Interview | Anita Higman
[Anita had some questions prepared so they will differ slightly from previous interviews.]

You & Writing

Tell us a bit about Texas Wildflowers
...Texas Wildflowers is a 4-in-1 novella collection through Barbour Publishing. Each novella is set in an exotic location in Texas. They are lighthearted romances, and they’re all tied together with the four McBride sisters.

Which of the four novellas was the most fun to write? ...They were each fun to write in their own way, but my favorite character was Lily, the counselor, in Forget Me Not Lily. She was quirky and fun, relatable and loveable. At least that’s what I hope readers will feel.

Was it hard to write four separate stories and keep them fresh?
...That task was very hard, because it is so easy to repeat plot elements and character traits and bits of dialogue. I had to constantly check myself to make sure the stories and characters were as unique as they could be.

All these novellas are set in Texas. Are the towns and parks real?
...Yes, in fact one of the novellas is set in Big Bend National Park, where my husband and I went on vacation. So, when you read about the characters on certain trails, they’re real, and we hiked them!

Did you have a favorite book when you were a child?
...I loved fairytales. Cinderella was my favorite.


Do you have a vacation spot you’d love to visit?
...I’m dreaming of Ireland. My husband and I plan to travel there next summer. Can’t wait! Then I’m going to use the emerald isle as a setting in one of my novels.

How long have you known you wanted to be a writer?
...When I was very young (I don’t remember my age) I started working on a novel about a man from Mars who wanted to go to college in New York. I never finished that novel, but it left an impression on me. I knew deep down that telling stories was my dream, even though I didn’t get around to fulfilling it until I was in my thirties.

When readers finish the last page of Texas Wildflowers, what do you want them to come away with?
...I would love for them to be inspired, challenged, and entertained. If I accomplished even one of those things I would feel my writing time wasn’t wasted.

You

What are 5 things that your readers might not know about you?
...While I was in college I tried working in a pillow factory. I was terrible at it. I got so weary with the repetition I started yakking with the woman next to me. We got reprimanded over and over until I quit. I discovered one thing from that college job—talking is something I excel at.
...I once won a hog-calling contest at a banquet. I was not embarrassed, but I should have been.
...I have a bird phobia, and yet I love birds! (That is, from a distance.) My house is filled with the fake kind—prints on the walls, statues, and general bird doodads. Go figure.
...I keep some interesting treasures near me when I write—a wooden jewelry box my son made me when he was in school, a candle from the 1960s, a hat once owned by a famous mystery writer, the inner parts of a music box, a birthday card that plays The Twilight Zone theme song, and an old family toy helicopter that says, “Going up.”
...Thirty-four years ago I rappelled off a cliff alongside the man I was dating. We kissed in mid-air while dangling off that cliff. I ended up marrying that man, and we've celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary!


Where do all your ideas come from?
...Ideas flood in from everywhere—while I’m running errands, or chatting with a friend, or drifting off to sleep. I have pieces of paper all over the place with scribbles about book ideas and characters and titles. Sometimes I can’t read my notes later. I need a full-time assistant to help me stay organized. Any volunteers?

What's your favorite snack to eat when writing?
...Nuts & popcorn

Do you believe in New Year's resolutions? If so, care to share one of yours?
...Yes, I believe in New Year's resolutions. One resolution this year will be to spend more time studying the Bible.

What is one thing you're looking forward to in 2013?
...Traveling to Ireland for a vacation and for research.
___________________________________

Thank you, Anita!  That was a great interview.  I love the fact that you admit it was hard to write four different novellas and keep them separate and unique! And here I thought it was just me ;)  I'm looking forward to the new books you have coming out this year - I bet they will be just as good as Texas Wildflowers.  I'm also excited for Friday when I'll be posting my own review of Texas Wildflowers - make sure you check back so you don't miss it! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring me on your blog. You are so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete