Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Joi Copeland {Writer Wednesday}

Please welcome Joi Copeland to Thinking Thoughts... 
Joi Copeland is married to a wonderful man, Chris, and has three amazing boys, She is living the dream in beautiful Denver, Colorado. Joi loves being a wife and mom and also enjoys spending time with friends over a good cup of coffee or tea. She's been a Christian for over twenty years. She's the author of two books, Hope for Tomorrow and Hope for the Journey, and one novella, Christmas Rayne.
What people are saying...

Holly Magnuson wrote about Hope for the Journey: I think you're an extremely brave author to tackle the topics you are in this story. So far in my reading you've captured these difficult topics tactfully and good emotion. I find myself feeling for the different characters. So far I'm loving it!
 
How to connect with Joi...
Like her page on Facebook
Follow her on Twitter
Check out her blog Cup o' Joy
Pick up a copy of her book Hope for the Journey
Connect with her on Goodreads

 

Author Interview | Joi Copeland


You & Writing
Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
...I am a Christ follower, a wife, mom, friend, sister, daughter, author, and barista. I started writing at an early age, but really decided to write when my husband, sister, and brother-in-law sat me down and told me it was time to pursue this dream of mine. My many ideas have kept me going. I pray about what I should write, and when.

Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?

...I had a lot of fun writing the third book in my Hope series. It's at the publisher's now. It was neat to see this character, Arthur, come alive. He's old, quirky, and in desperate need of a Savior.

What was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?

...The hardest thing about publishing is having to read my manuscript so many times! It makes me nutty. I keep telling myself, “I don't want to read it again! I already know how it ends.” :)
...The easiest thing is picking out a cover and working with Comfort Publishing.


Your Writing
Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?
...Hope for the Journey is about a marriage and some struggles couples may go through. Not every couple, but I know many do. It's also about family. I wrote it because I was walking the track while my boys were playing one day, and I really felt strongly about this topic and the need to write about it.

Do you have a favorite character? If so, why?
...One of my favorite characters is Emily in this book. She's strong, real, and amazing.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...Struggles in this life are going to happen. But it's how we deal with them that matter. Do we forgive those who hurt us? Do we turn our backs on Christ when life takes a turn for the worst? I hope readers will walk away encouraged, uplifted, and at the point where they really want to forgive.

Writing
Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...Both for sure. I can take real life situations that have happened to others and turn them into fiction. So, for all of my books, not one situation is completely accurate of one person. Does that make sense?

When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?
...To encourage people and cause them to see themselves in my characters.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?

...Keep writing. Don't give up. You will get many no's, but you only need one yes!

You
What is your favorite snack to eat when writing?
...Apples! :)

Do you believe in New Year’s resolutions? If so, care to share one of yours?

...I am a New Year's baby, so I always try to make some type of change for the next year. I really want to lose weight and be debt free. Two goals I expect to meet! :)

What’s one thing you are looking forward to in 2013?

...I look forward to seeing what God is going to do in my life and those around me. I see a lot of hope for 2013!

______________________________________

Thank you so much Joi!  I love how you say that you pray about "what you should write, and when".  That is such an important thing - as writers we can easily follow our selfish desires and want to write about what we want but it's a gift from the Lord and we must use it for His glory, not ours.  

If you, my readers, are interested in other books by Joi, check out these titles below and make sure and get your copy! 
Get your copy of Hope for Tomorrow here...
You can purchase Christmas Rayne here or contact Joi at her facebook page here for your copy...

No comments:

Post a Comment