Monday, October 5, 2020

September 2020 Wrap-up



I would say September was a good reading month. Had a lot of enjoyable books I read PLUS I actually got time to read (maybe that's actually what's most important here). Come see what I read, what I loved, what I didn't, and what I recommend (and don't) from this month's reading. 

P.S. I've hit the 77% mark on my Goodreads reading goal for this year! 77 books out of 100! Are you doing a challenge? Are we friends on Goodreads? Add me here: https://www.goodreads.com/eahcreative

I had such a good reading month - surprisingly. I think a lot of that was due to the many books I stared before September hit and the fact that I was on vacation for the beginning of it so I got in some extra reading time. 

Below you'll find my short reviews or links to longer ones usually on Goodreads. 

Network Effect by Martha Wells | 5*

Yet another AWESOME read from Martha Wells. I could seriously read about Murderbot all day. It's so rare for me to find a book series I could actually binge and I think this is one of them. That is saying a LOT. 

Note: Warnings for language. Definitely for an adult audience. 

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson | 5*

I love me some true crime. Ever since getting married to The Mr I've spent more time watching things like Forensic Files or Cold Case that I've just slipped down the path even further. I still love fictional crime best (aka: Criminal Minds and NCIS etc) but I am intrigued by real-life things. 

This was a true crime historical I really enjoyed! Talk about creepy - and yet with such wonderful details depicting the Chicago Worlds Fair it was easy to be lost in this amazing book. 

Suggested to those who enjoy historical fiction/non-fiction with a creepy and sad twist. 

Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer | 5*

My Twilight heart has been FILLED with happiness in reading this book. Friends, I have always been Team Edward (no shame) and when I saw Midnight Sun was coming out I was kind of on the fence. Like, why would I read this? I've already read Twilight. Oh, past-Emilie, you didn't know what you were talking about. 

I decided to do a re-read of Twilight with one of my BFFs and got so immersed in it again that I lost sleep and was loving it so much all over again. And then what happened? I jumped right into Midnight Sun and kept the love going. Yes, it is a re-do of an already told story but there is so much more to it. You get to see things you didn't see in Twilight and you get to know more of Edwards thoughts. 

If you were a Twilight fan - and I do mean FAN - when they came out, you're likely going to enjoy this. If you were on the fence about the whole vampire/werewolf thing before, this book may not sway you. Either way, I hugely enjoyed it and would recommend it to any Twilight fan!

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini | 5* 

Let me start off by saying I have NOT read anything else by Paolini. I've heard raving reviews about his fantasy books but I've just never been able to read them (out of time or lack of having them etc.) BUT when I saw that he was coming out with a science fiction I knew I wanted to try it! I am sooooo glad I did. 

I was able to receive an advanced LARC (listening advanced reading copy) from Netgalley and then a finished version from Librio.fm. This review is my own opinions. 

I was hooked on this book from the start. Paolini creates such a vibrant and immersive world that I was lost to the story immediately. His main charcter was very inspirational to me and I really enjoyed the journey with her. 

If you want to read my review you can here.

Note: There is language and adult situations in this book. For adult readers only. 


Bone Crier's Moon by Kathryn Purdie | 4.5*

I so enjoyed this book! The romance, the mythology and lore, the action, the creativity...all of it was so fun to jump in to. I feel like I read this very slowly but it was mostly due to other books "having" to be read in front of it which kept pushing this fun read to the back. 

I'd definitely recommend it. There is some violence against animals mentioned (not out of cruelty, exactly) and some more descriptive forms of the rituals but all in all I found it to be a pretty clean read - only light cursing moderate romantic aspects. 

A definite recommend to those who like a good YA fantasy. I'd say for ages 15+.


Dream Big by Bob Goff | 5*

You all probably know by now that I LOVE dreams. I like planning and goal setting and making an effort to accomplish your dreams and I feel that this book is all about that - so why wouldn't I love it? 

Bob Goff has a humors and realistic way to approach topics like dreaming and pretty much has a story to go with everything. I felt encouraged and entertained as well as challenged as I read this. I liked it so much I've passed it on to my husband to read and will definitely recommend it. I wouldn't call it "heavy" on theology but an encouraging and motivating read nonetheless. 

The Guest List by Lucy Foley | 3* 

I saw this book everywhere on bookstagram and was excited to get an LARC from Librio.fm. Unfortunately, it fell a little flat for me. The idea was interesting and creepy - a remote island used for the wedding of a TV star and a up and coming socialite, and I didn't even really mind the way it was told in a sort of then and now situation, but there was a little too much 'oh, that's convenient' about some parts of the plot for me. 

It's definitely an interesting story, and tragic to be sure, but I don't know that I'd recommend it personally. You may love it if you like psychological thrillers or suspense, but this one wasn't for me. 

Note: Lost of language and sex/adult situations in this one.


Fable by Adrienne Young | 5*

I LOVED this one! Give me ships and the sea and a strong female lead and I am usually a happy camper. Fable delivered all of those. I really enjoyed Fable as a character. It would have been easy to get 'tired' of her but I wasn't in the least. She's got an interesting backstory and the grit and determination to make it through anything.

I think I'd kind of liken it to Daughter of the Pirate King in some ways, but it stands on its own very well. I am a sucker for a slow burn romance as well, and this baby delivers on that too! 

I will caution you - if you don't like cliffhangers (of any kind) then you may want to wait until book 2 comes out in March of next year. I know...I'd hate to wait too which is why I read it. But, while it does give you an 'ending' it also leaves you with 'but what happens next'? 

Definitely recommend for ages 15+. 


For any books gifted to me, I was not required to leave a review and do so of my own accord.   

No comments:

Post a Comment