Monday, August 13, 2018

Novel News with Sara Ella and Amanda G. Stevens


My oh my, it's been ages since I've done a "New Novel News" post so I thought I'd start with a bit of catch up. These LOVELY novels are out now--so no delay in gettin them (see what I did there?).



No Less Days 

by Amanda G. Stevens

Published: May 1, 2018
Publisher: Shiloh Run Press
Purchase: No Less Days

David Galloway can’t die.

How many lifetimes can God expect one man to live? Over a century old, David Galloway isolates himself from the mortal humans who die or desert him by making a quiet life as a used bookstore owner in Northern Michigan. But then he spots a news article about a man who, like him, should be dead.

Daredevil celebrity Zachary Wilson walked away unscathed from what should have been a deadly fall. David tracks the man down, needing answers. Soon David discovers a close-knit group of individuals as old as he is who offer the sort of kinship and community he hasn’t experienced for decades—but at what cost?

David finds himself keeping secrets other than his own. . .protecting more than himself alone. He’ll have to decide what’s worth the most to him—security or community. When crimes come to light that are older than any mortal, he fears the pressure is more than he can stand. What does God require of him, and is David strong enough to see it through?


Get to know Amanda...


What prank would you want to play on your main character?
David would be easy to prank because he’s such an earnest guy and not a prankster himself; and because he’s so reserved and protective of his privacy, he would be easily embarrassed. But he would be hard to prank because he’s observant, cautious, and a trained soldier who’s fought in five wars. So you’d have to catch him off guard but not in a way that he might overreact to and, you know, deck you or something.

Ironically (given I’m answering this question in so much detail), I’m not a prankster myself either. Like David, I tend to be too serious for pranks. However, it would be fun to throw him a surprise birthday party. Partly because his birthdays have lost meaning for him after 150-plus years. Friends surprising him with a celebration of his special day would show him that the years still matter and that they value him. He’s been alone for such a long time, this would really touch him.

What are the names of your pets?
I have an aquarium of cichlids and one incredibly long-lived catfish, and I have an Eastern box turtle named Twyla. She’s a challenge (dietary needs, UV light needs) but well worth it. I love to watch her. She’s a classic introvert and often makes me laugh.

What are you reading right now?
A Tale of Two Cities for the first time ever. Almost finished with it, and oh my goodness, Sydney Carton is breaking my heart. I know the genius of Dickens goes without saying, but really. . .wow. Also reading Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury, another artist of genius-that-goes-without-saying. This is an essay collection of his thoughts on his writing career, how he accomplished what he did, sort of an admonishment to get to work seasoned with craft wisdom. It has encouraged me a lot. Oh, and I’m picking my way through a textbook called The Golden Age of Cinema: Hollywood 1929-1945 because it’s an interest of mine. I just finished Murder at the Flamingo by Rachel McMillan and I loved the interactions of her characters, especially a certain loyal cousin duo. Looking forward to the next one in the series.


Unbreakable 

by Sara Ella

Published: May 2, 2018
Publisher: Thomas Nelson/Harper Collins
Purchase: Unbreakable


Eliyana Ember is a reluctant queen. As vessel of the Verity—the purest of souls—only she can lead the fight against the wicked magnetism of the Void. If she fails, the paths between Reflections will cease to exist, and those she loves will remain plagued by darkness.

After falling through a draining Threshold and suffering near-death, Eliyana awakens to a Shadowalker-ridden Venice, Italy. From there, she must learn to navigate mysteries of time and space. Traveling across the seven Reflections, Eliyana seeks one thing: the demise of the Void.

But something else is at stake—the fate of her heart. Kyaphus Rhyen and Joshua David, brothers in arms, duel to win her hand. Ky remains ensnared and tortured by the Void. Joshua, though well-meaning, harbors dark secrets. Meanwhile, Eliyana finds herself torn, her mind and memories leading her in one direction, but her heart pulling her toward a man she knows she shouldn’t trust.

How can she discern whom to believe when she cannot even depend on her own fragmented memories?

Traversing the realms of fantasy and reality through a labyrinth of plot twists, Unbreakable delivers a thrilling conclusion to Sara Ella’s Unblemished Trilogy.

Get to know Sara...

What’s one thing you must have/do in the morning?
I have to have my coffee. I guess I'm pretty basic, haha. Without my coffee, I can't function.

Which of your characters do you secretly have a crush on?
Well, that's an unfair question. I was in love with Joshua from day one, word one, page one. Then Ky swooped in and sort of stole the show. Infatuation with him evolved into like which evolved into love. But this is no secret. Anyone who follows me knows my thoughts about these boys. The real secret is that I have a thing for Ebony's crush, Tide. I'm glad I had the chance to explore his character more and spend extra time with him in Unbreakable.

Who is your favorite secondary character? (In your work or someone else’s)
Honestly, I love Ebony. She stole the show in a way too. I had readers tell me they hoped to see more of her after reading Unblemished. I'm super excited to see what readers think of her included POV in Unbreakable. She was the most fun to write this time around, and she a gave me a break from the more solemn and serious points of view.

And a secondary character in someone else's work? That would probably have to be Skelley Chase from the Out of Timeseries by Nadine Brandes. I really don't like that guy, but he's so well written! He's distinct. That's what makes him memorable and so "love-to-hate-him" at the same time.

Share on social media! 

No comments:

Post a Comment