Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys | RE:View

This book. Oh my heart! I went into this blind (like I typically do) and had no idea what I was in for. But honestly, the story was so good that I’m glad I did. I might have been scared away if I knew hints of what the story would hold, but this way I was able to watch it unfold in its interpersonal beauty despite the weightiness of the topic.

The plot and historical facts were woven so seamlessly together that it felt like a historical account but with heart. It did take a few chapters for me to really get in to it and connect with the four main characters, but once I did it was incredible to see how they came together and to see what their story became.

I would highly recommend this to fan of historical fiction, YA historical, and those who enjoy stories with more weight to them but in a satisfying way. I walked away from this book with a greater understanding of a happening in history I’d had no prior knowledge of and a feeling of being a part of a great and beautiful story.

My rating: 5*
Purchase: Salt to the Sea 

Book Description
(from Amazon) 

Winter 1945. WWII. Four refugees. Four stories.

Each one born of a different homeland; each one hunted, and haunted, by tragedy, lies, war. As thousands desperately flock to the coast in the midst of a Soviet advance, four paths converge, vying for passage aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety and freedom. But not all promises can be kept . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment