Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Darlene Franklin {Writer Wednesday}

A little bit about Darlene...

Darlene Franklin’s greatest claim to fame is that she writes full-time from a nursing home. She lives in Oklahoma, near her son and his family, and continues her interests in playing the piano and singing, books, good fellowship, and reality TV in addition to writing. She is an active member of Oklahoma City Christian Fiction Writers, American Christian Fiction Writers, and the Christian Authors Network.
How to connect with Darlene...

Blogs: http://darlenefranklinwrites.blogspot.com/ and http://mydailynibble.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/darlene.franklin.3
Twitter: @darlenefranklin  
Purchase Homefront Dreams [here]
(currently only $3.82 on kindle - what a deal!)

Author Interview | Darlene Franklin 
You and Writing

Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?

...I started writing for the same reason why I continue to write today. It helps to keep me sane in a world where everything changes. Twenty-three years ago, I was in the middle of a divorce. Today, I am adjusting to life in a nursing home. I wrote a devotional book first (and continue to write hundreds of published devotionals, as well as my devotional website, http://mydailynibble.blogspot.com/

...My second book was fiction, and I found my voice. My second novel,
Romanian Rhapsody, later became my first published book. Of course I wrote a lot of other books in between.

...After
Romanian Rhapsody came out in 2005, my second book didn’t come until 2008. Since then, I’ve been an overnight-success-after-fifteen-years story. By now, I have twenty-seven books in print, and five more scheduled.

Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?

...I am currently writing book 8 of 9 books set in Maple Notch (Homefront Dreams is book 6.) The last three books are contemporary. I am fond of the town and the family; I bid them a fond farewell.

Do you have a favorite character in this work? If so, why?

...I identify a lot with the heroine, Clarinda. Like me, she is a single mother and breadwinner for her family. As mayor, she faces the challenge of leading her town through the difficult of World War II, and the hero disagrees with about almost everything. Circumstances push her out of her comfort zone, and she has to grow with them. I hope I handle challenges in my life with some of the grace that she does.


Writing

When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?


...My overall intention is to tell a good story. My tagline is “writing at the crossroads of love and grace.” Most of my books include losses and tragedies to a greater or lesser degree. I want my readers to know that God love is enough, no matter what brings their way.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?

...The simplest is the best: read, read, read and write, write, write.

...Get involved with a critique group as well as a group such as American Christian Fiction Writers (http://www.acfw.com/). Attend conferences. You will learn and make face-to-face acquaintance with agents, editors, and writers. So much is available to new writers today that wasn’t around when I started. I believe it speeds up the learning curve.

You

Would you prefer chocolates or flowers on Valentines Day??

...Chocolate. Of course! Always chocolate.

On Valentines Day would you rather stay in (ie: home with a movie) or go out (ie: night on the town)?

...I’d rather have a night on the town.
_________________________

Thank you so much for this interview Darlene! How exciting that your second book was what "got the ball rolling" for the rest to make their way. I am also excited about your novel Homefront Dreams! I love the history of the 1940s and WWII fiction. I'm sure your book is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment