Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Ada Brownell {Wrtier Wednesday}

A little bit about Ada...

Born into a family of new Christians, hard workers and achievers, Ada Brownell was the eighth child and a reporter almost since she could talk. She was the family "tattletale." She and her husband, who worked for the railroad as an agent/telegrapher, had five children. One of them is in heaven, and all of them have spent time in ministry.


A devoted Bible student, Ada Brownell has written for Christian publications since age 15 and spent much of her life as a daily newspaper reporter at The Pueblo Chieftain in Colorado. After moving to Springfield, Missouri, in her retirement, she continues to free lance for Sunday school papers, Christian magazines and write books. She is author of three non-fiction works, one novel, and is critique group leader of Ozarks Chapter of American Christian Writers.

How to connect with Ada...
 
Website/Blog: http://inkfromanearthenvessel.blogspot.com Stick to Your Soul Encouragement
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/AdaBrownellWritingMinistries
Twitter: : @adellerella

Author Interview | Ada Brownell

-->You and Writing
Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
…I became a published writer before I took any writing or journalism courses. Although, after my success, I soon enrolled in a course. I've written nearly all my life like I play the piano—mostly by ear. I do know the basics of music and grammar, but why think about the mechanics when your fingers and your head know how to do it? It was a few years before I learned to edit, and when I finally did, I learned that's where the hard work comes.

Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?
…That's like asking which of my children I love the most! When a person spends hours and hours writing and editing a book, there's emotional attachment. Furthermore, I wouldn't have written the books if I didn't think there was incredible value of my message to the reader—principally, increasing faith.

Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently. Why did you write it?
…I wrote Imagine the Future You because I was concerned about the way our society and educational institutions try to strip faith from our children and grandchildren. If they have a genuine experience with God where they know the joy unspeakable and are full of glory (1 Peter 1:8) and build their lives on the Rock Jesus Christ, we'll be together for eternity. The book endeavors to reveal truth that will lead them to abundant life here and eternal life in heaven.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
…I have several, but one is an illustration about how difficult it is to break habits. Someone in Vashon Island, Washington, leaned a bicycle against a tree when it was a sapling and left it there. The tree grew around the bike until it became part of the tree and now is several feet off the ground. Habits become a part of us just as the bike became part of that tree.

Writing

Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
…Joe the Dreamer is a unique person, but some in the book have a few characteristics of people I've met. For instance, the scenes in the mental hospital draw on what I witnessed in a psychiatric institution—in my job… not as a patient!

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
…Sit down and do it with a target market in mind. Edit, then get into a good critique group, and then edit some more, polish and then get your work to a publisher.

You

What will you do for Thanksgiving?
… Spend the day with family, eating, playing games, visiting.

What is your favorite food of the Thanksgiving dinner?
…Succulent Turkey and dressing.

What are three things you’re thankful for? …Salvation and God's mercy, our children and grandchildren and that they are serving the Lord; and for God's miracles and His faithfulness.

____________________________

Thank you so much for joining me on the blog today Ada! I really liked how you suggested writing with a target market in mind. I think that is so crucial - to really know you are writing for and why you are writing! I hope that your Thanksgiving is filled with a time of peace and relaxation with your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment