Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Angela Strong {Writer Wednesday}

A little bit about Angela...

Angela Ruth Strong sold her first article to a national magazine while still in high school. Her debut novel Love Finds You In Sun Valley, Idaho released in 2010. Lighten Up is the first in her Body and Soul Series, with the second book Shake It Up releasing March 2014. When she’s not writing, you can find her at home in Idaho with her three teen/tweens and hubby where life is always an adventure.
How to connect with Angela...


Blog: http://angelaruthstrong.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/angela.r.strong
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4746114.Angela_Ruth_Strong
Purchase her book on Amazon

Author Interview | Angela Strong 
 
You and Writing
Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
...Creative Writing was always my favorite subject. The kids in my carpool would read my assignments out loud and everyone would laugh all the way home. I’d sometimes pretend that I lost one of my stories so I had to write another one to turn in for credit. That’s what I did for fun. In fact, when I took journalism in high school, I’d finish my assignments early in case anybody else needed me to do their writing/editing/layout for the newspaper. After that came college then writers conferences. It’s nice to be able to make money from the business, but really I’m still that same little girl in the carpool van who gets joy out of the enjoyment her writing brings others.

Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written?
...My favorite book is always my next book. :)

What was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?
...It’s all hard until it’s done, and then I’m like “that was easy!” Like a mother going through childbirth. It’s horrible and painful and she doesn’t know if she can make it, but then the baby is born and it’s so beautiful and worth the effort that she can’t wait to do it all over again.

Your Writing
Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?
...Lighten Up: Bethany is a pastor’s daughter who can’t forgive her dad for running off with the church secretary until she falls in love with her pastor.
...I wrote it because I’m a pastor’s daughter who grew up in the church, and I saw a lot of things Christians do that aren’t discussed in Christian fiction. I was hurt by one of these things. Then I found freedom when I realized that “mercy triumphs over judgment every time.” I want to share that freedom with the world.

Do you have a favorite character in this work? If so, why?
...Mick. He’s not attractive. He has a large head and pock-marked face. Think mafia movie. The kind of guy you would run away from if you saw him in a dark alley. But he is the sweetest, most enthusiastic guy ever. He’s also very honest about his many embarrassing stories. As the church’s token single male, every woman wants to set him up/marry him off. Unfortunately, he falls for Bethany who so isn’t interested.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?

...We are all capable of messing up big time. So first, we need to set up accountability to keep us from falling to temptation, and second, we need to grant mercy to those who have fallen.

Writing
Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?

...Both. Though I love the moments when something happens, and I can be like, “That is so going in a book.” I also love the moments when I create a character, and then I run into them on the street. And I stare. Because I thought they only existed in my imagination.
...I know some authors have systems for this kind of thing. I use their systems on occasion. But more often than not, I make up this writing thing as I go. Sometimes I’ll have an idea and write the novel in one month, other times I write multiple synopses over years until it finally comes together.

When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?
...I have a mission statement for life that also applies to my writing: 
 
My mission is to inspire, create, and encourage hope in myself and others.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
...Don’t think of your writing as right or wrong, think of it as working or not working. Enjoy the process and learn as you go.

You
What is your favorite activity during the summer?
...I’d have to say that as of my 2nd anniversary celebration this past weekend, it’s zip-lining! Though I love everything about summer.

What are you currently reading?
...Jonah. I’ve got a deadline at the end of the month, so I’m not reading anything except the Bible right now. And Facebook. But that doesn’t really count, does it?

Apparently August 15th is National Lemon Meringue Pie Day (who knew). What is your favorite dessert?

...Crème Brulee. Had it served in an actual pineapple on the last day of my honeymoon in Maui. Worth going back for.
____________________

Thank you so much for joining us on the blog today, Angela! What a great interview :) I can tell that you love to write not only for others, but for yourself which is such an encouraging thing to hear.  I also love your mission statement. I think every author should have one.  I can't wait to hear about more books from you.

Readers, make sure you check out her blog and purchase a copy of her book!

No comments:

Post a Comment