Thursday, December 4, 2014

Sarah Kohnle | Spread the Christmas Joy

Lessons for a lifetime, and beyond...

Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
- Deuteronomy 11:19
Love the Lord your God and serve him with all your heart and all your soul. Those are the lessons, Moses said. The important ones. I wonder if those are the lessons my children picked up from me?

Did I worry too much about the magic of Christmas and not the wonder of Christ? Christmas Eve meant assembling toys, nibbling cookies intended for Santa, and even sprinkling flour on the carpet near the fireplace and stomping around to leave a trail of Santa’s soot-covered footprints. I kept a basket of beautiful Christmas books to share, but I confess I didn’t always share the most beautiful Christmas story.

Our house was decorated with an assortment of manger scenes, including one just for play. We prepared costumes for the nativity pageant at church, and even baked a birthday cake for Baby Jesus in our preschool days.

But when did I forget Jesus the man, Jesus my Savior? When did I put my all into the idea of Baby Jesus, much like the film character Ricky Bobby?

If this sounds familiar, take heart. This Christmas, I encourage you to teach your children about the Baby Jesus, but let the conversation continue each day as you teach about his life, the scars of his death and the glory of his resurrection. It is only then when we can serve him with all our heart and all our soul.


Leave a comment below to win a $10 Starbucks gift card!  

**Sorry, the mug isn't included...it's my roommates ;)

___________________________________


As an award-winning journalist, Sarah Kohnle covered stories across the Midwest. Her roots were planted in North Dakota and she and her husband currently reside in Missouri.

Website: http://sarahkohnle.com/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7919802.Sarah_Kohnle
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/sarah-kohnle/13/46a/839
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shifting-Gears-Sarah-Kohnle-ebook/dp/B00IID45OI

No comments:

Post a Comment