What’s your favorite kind of hero/heroine? Do you envision the hero riding in to save the day on a horse? Or driving a sports car? Is your heroine a woman with a career or a stay at home mom?
- Are usually “reluctant heroes.” They don’t seek the spotlight and don’t want to be the one in charge. But when things fall apart, they step into the role where they’re needed.
- Have unusual skills. Usually those are survival skills. They know how to find things that you need to survive. They know how to get by without their cell phone, Google, and GPS.
- Are loyal. They might not be the strongest or the bravest, but they genuinely care about their family and friends, and they’re willing to do anything to honor their promises.
- Are adaptable. In a dystopian world everything is turned upside down. Heroes are able to adjust quickly. Instead of asking “why” they focus on “what we need to do now.” They understand the time to grieve over what’s been lost is later. The thing to do now is to be strong for friends/family/neighbors.
- Have an abiding faith. Despite the odds, the bleak turn of events, the seemingly desperate future, heroes and heroines in a Christian dystopian novel believe that God is still in control. Do they struggle? Sure. Do they doubt? Sometimes. But in the end, they lead others not just through a crumbling world but on a journey of faith.
Would I know how to survive if the technology I use every day disappeared?
Would I be strong, physically and emotionally, to care for my family?
Would my faith, my belief in God’s care and provide, remain strong?
Deep Shadows is a journey into fast paced, unexpected journey through a world turned topsy-turvy. I hope it’s a journey that you’ll take with me.
Connect with Vannetta: