Friday, February 20, 2015

True Love In a 50 Shades World

Oh no. Another 50 Shades of Grey blog post...

Well, not exactly. I haven't read it or seen the movie (and am not planning on it) but I do think it's worth a look (or blog post in this case) in light of my overall blog theme for the month of February: Love. Yes, I've talked about stuff like this before (here and here) but can we really talk about it enough?

I think we've forgotten what the definition of love is.
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails...
-1 Corinthians 13:4-8
I don't know about you, but that's a pretty all-inclusive list.

There are some things I don't see...
  • Pride
  • Selfishness
  • Bondage (in any form)
  • Demanding
  • Insulting
  • Belittling 
I just want to remind us (myself included) that, in Christ, there is a better way. A more fulfilling way. 
Without His example of love and self-sacrifice (including everything listed from 1 Corinthians) we wouldn't have a picture of what true love is. 
You can try and describe it any way you want, but without a perfect example {Christ} you'll always find ways to compromise.

______________
A few days ago I had the opportunity to guest post on my friend Alexis' blog, Capturing the Idea. I'd love for you to stop by and read my "True Love Story" there >>> A Better Love Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment