Monday, June 1, 2020

May Wrap-Up 2020


Reading, reading, reading! I had a really good month and read 10 books! Come check out my thoughts on them and maybe find a book or two to add to your TBR!


It was a good reading month - granted several of these were novella length, but still I found some good time to read and am excited to share my thoughts with you about these books!





Clearly, I was on a Murderbot diaries kick this month! I don't know... aside from the obvious: she's a brilliant writer, maybe it's the fact that these are novellas and therefore easier to read quickly or maybe it's just the sci-fi-ness of it all (cuz you know I love me some sci-fi) but I have been HOOKED on these books! There is something so...lovable (such the wrong word but??) about Murderbot that makes me want to keep reading. Plus, they are paced so well, intriguing, and just all around a lot of fun! If you like sci-fi (and can get past some language) I'd recommend these. I'm looking forward to Network Effect, he latest which happens to be a full length BOOK!!! :D

*Note: Language in these. Definitely 18+


City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab | 5*

I have multiple books by Victoria (or V.E.) Schwab and have yet to read them - what is wrong with me? This lovely middle grade was my first read of her books and I LOVED it! I did audiobook it because it became available through my library app but I'm itching to get the next one in this series. It is about ghosts, and she writes in such a compelling way that you almost miss you're reading a Middle Grade! I'd recommend it, but if you're child is sensitive to ghosts or things like that then maybe not. It could get a little scary for a young reader. As I always recommend to parents - read it first!


Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim | 4.5*

I am so glad I was able to read this via audiobook from my Library! I really enjoyed this well-paced story of magic reminiscent of Mulan and Project Runway! I'm definitely in it for the next book!


Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo | 4*

Sadly I didn't love this one as much as book one. There was something...kind of slow and dark about it that didn't hit me like the first book did. I think part of that is due to the reality of how second books in a trilogy seem to go, but I prefer my book 2's to have a little less "I'm going to the dark side" and a little more "there's still things we need to do". But, not a bad book in anyway. Interested to see how the third book wraps up!



The Grace Year by Kim Liggett | 5*

WOW. This book. My friends, this book really hit me in the feels. It's the first book (in a long time) that made me okay with some things (which I won't share here for sake of spoilers) due to the telling of the story. It was violent and gory at some points (but not needlessly in my opinion). And there is a strong feminist vibe to it that didn't turn me off like some books have. I think it's a book you must experience for yourself, and I would highly recommend it to readers who are older (17+ in my estimation) and who are willing to find an intriguing, if not a bit creepy, story that has a message miles deep.

I described this book to my friends as: The Scarlett Letter and A Handmaids tale meet The Hunger Games in a place a little like The Village.



Girls Save the World in This One by Ash Parsons | 3.5*

While I thought this was a fun read, it wasn't one that hit me right initially and then spiraled into something I *should* have expected but didn't. All of that to say, this book was entertaining in its own right and will likely thrill fans of Zombie books/movies! One thing to note: it starts out slow (in my opinion) and didn't set me up for what the story really was about (aka: zombies and survival). Then again, maybe this is due to the fact I don't read back cover copy or things like that.

I enjoyed the friendships between the main girls, even the rocky road they were walking with another friend. Very girl-drama initially but I really respected how it was handled at the end. And, as you may expect from any Zombie aspect, there was a lot of death. Very sad, and yet like I said, expected.

I think overall the messages portrayed were good and uplifting even if at points I thought things were slightly impossible for the situation (but I decided to suspend belief for the sake of the story).

I'd recommend to fans of zombie lore and can't quite remember if there was language in this one. There is some gore and such but it's not too excessive in my opinion.


Aurora Burning by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff | 5*

AT LAST! I have been waiting on pins and needles for this book since I finished the first one and it did not disappoint. I really really loved the first half especially because it was very well paced and action packed. Toward the last 2/3 and the end things slowed down a bit and got a bit more...complex. I will say the ending is a DOOZY but...not in a bad way. More in the "how many days do we have to wait until book 3" type of way.


The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell | 4*

I've had this on my shelf for a few months now and it popped up in my audiobook holds so I said: let's do this! I'm glad I did. This was a very complex story that jumps all over the place (and time) and gives you a good feeling of history if not a less-good feeling of modern day. I liked the twists and turns, the romantic aspects, and the side characters, though I did feel while coming toward the end as if things were rushed and then suddenly having it END was ...well, shocking. I'm sad to admit I didn't know it was a series (oops!). So, once I adjusted my mind toward that, I was able to be more okay with the ending. In all honesty, I'm not sure how I feel about moving ahead with the series. I likely will if I get the chance, but it was so complex in the first book that I felt it could have been wrapped up in that and now to think of two more whole books to go makes me feel a little weary. Not of the writing (it is lovely) but of the strife. I kind of wished we could have been given a bit more view into what else could happen...but I digress.

I will likely go on with the series, but probably not soon :)

WHEW! There you have it! All 10 books this month. I've got my eye on 10+ for next month (er well, by now it's THIS month) but we'll see how it all works out. Never seems to go the way you think, right?

What did you read and love this month? 

No comments:

Post a Comment