Tuesday, July 7, 2020

June Wrap-Up 2020



Come check out my June wrap-up (yes, I know it's already July!). 
Oopsies! This sic coming a little late, but here is my wrap-up for June. I celebrated a birthday July 2 plus there was the 4th of July so things really got pushed back! Sadly I only got through 6 books this month - boo! But I was working on a lot of other things and didn't have a lot of extra reading time. Hoping to step it up next month (er....this month). 

What did you read this month? 


Bookish and the Beast by Ashly Poston | 3.5*

*Sigh* Sadly, I didn't love this one like I thought I would. I was beyond excited to get an advanced copy from Netgally and Quirk Books, but - while I loved the library, dog, and some parts of the romance - it fell flat for me. See my full review on Goodreads.


Life L1k3 by Jay Kristoff | 3.8-4*

Ok, ya'll probably know my love of YA Sci-fi by now. I think, for me, this book excelled in it's world building! I did like the characters and I did enjoy the plot/premise etc., but the world building was just top shelf! I know, in discussion with a friend about this book, she had some issues with the reality of who the main characters love interest is. I think it begs some thought (and would cause some spoilers) so I won't get in to it here, but it might put some people off. But things to change and Kristoff is excellent a tossing in twists so...maybe hold your thoughts to the end? 

All in all, I did enjoy this book. I found, however, that the ending was....not what I expected. In some ways it was disheartening for me and in others it was the perfect propellant to the next book.  

As I mentioned before, Kristoff is just amazing at tossing in twists and turns - something I greatly admire about his writing - so I think that is where the 4* rating comes in. But there were other times where I felt like things were either a little cliche or extremely blown out of proportion which dropped me to the 3.8*. 

I'd say if you like science fiction and can get past some of the dialect (because it's an acquired taste) then you might just love this series! 

*There is language in this one. 

Thanks to NetGalley for gifting me a copy of this book. My opinions are my own!



This one was a fun, foodie-filled book that played on my not so secret dreams of becoming a pastry chef. Okay, I know that'll never happen, but it was fun reading about it...until it wasn't. In Cuevas's book we get a real look at life in a high-powered kitchen in France where I'm sure she didn't over play the stressful details put upon these teens. 

Initially Isabella, Isa, was a really hard character for me to like. I understood that she really needed to have that 'perfection' trait in order for her to make it through and the whole point is clearly the journey she takes to discovering what she truly wants in life, but one thing that brought this down from at 5 to a 4.3 for me is that it was too tense (for me) in some ways. She was too focused. Too...mean. I love tension, don't get wrong, but I needed more of a break from it to see the softer side of Isa. 

I wanted more from the romance as well. It was hard because we don't see them together as much and the suddenly she's falling in love with him. I do like that, at least in my opinion, he was able to show her alternative avenues for her dream to thrive. I know many reviewers had issue with her end decision, but I think she made a choice she thought was best for herself as a chef. That I can respect. 

All in all, it was a fun book but perhaps not one I'd read again? Of course, I say all of this from my own perspective and I am positive most people probably won't notice these things and will enjoy the book regardless :) 

Thanks to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for gifting me a copy of this book. My opinions are my own!





See my short review on Goodreads




This was a slightly unexpected read. I wasn't sure what I was getting going into this but I was pleasantly surprised. Part of the 'unknowing' is the beauty of this book so I don't want to say much in order to not spoil the surprise, but I will say it is a soft science fiction - which is important to an extent for people to know, but not crucial. It's accessible and not your typical sci-fi read. 

One of the parts I found facilitating about the book was the setting. Alaska in the winter and then enter: a plane crash. Say what? I can't even imagine being stranded like that, but the main characters do a great job at surviving. 

This is also one of the slight negatives I had with the book - it's a bit unbelievable. How 'lucky' is the protagonist that she learned enough to survive from her parents. And still, it's cool to see how that happens. 

All in all, if you like survival stories and can handle some slight sci-fi aspects, I think you might enjoy this. 

*There was some language in this one and a bit of violence.


A Dream Within A Dream by Mike Nappa and Melissa Kosci | 4*

FINALLY we have another book in the Coffey & Hill series! It's been about 4ish years since the last one came out but I am so happy to see that there are more in this series! (Yes, I'm hoping for another one after this because that ending...). 

Anyway, for those of you who haven't read the first 2 books I'd recommend doing that first. It will fill you in on the story and you'll be glad you know about the characters before jumping in to this one. As for this book, I am glad I was able to get a copy of it from the publisher (thanks for that!). I was an instant fan of Mike Nappa's after the first book and that continued on to the second. There is something about this writing that easy to take in. 

As for the story, it's intriguing and has that element of "what's going to happen" going for it. The character of Dream is an interesting one to read as well! He's quite the character but creates a dynamic view of things. I appreciate how he was written. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I wish we could have seen a bit more of Samuel (*cough* that's the romance writer in me talking *cough*) but I really liked that Eula was much more involved in this story. I found that the first half felt a little more like the previous books while the second maybe felt a little different...perhaps almost too fast paced or oddly dialogue-heavy, can't quite put my finger on it, but it wasn't really "bad" just different. 

I will say that the ending had me wanting a bit more. I can appreciate some cryptic things going on, but it left me feeling unsatisfied (and not just because there's likely to be another book). It doesn't change the fact I did enjoy reading it, but those things knocked it down a star for me. 

I do, however, recommend this and the other books in this series, to those who like mystery and a bit of suspense. You'll get that and more from these! 

Thanks to the publisher for gifting me a copy - all opinions are my own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment