Friday, May 25, 2018

An Admission & An Apology & An Update

The Admission

Sometimes life doesn't go like you've planned.

Sometimes life feels like you got caught in a rainstorm and forgot your umbrella, drenching you with all of its expectations and not letting you find shelter. (See real-life example of this to the left).

Sometimes life surprises you with awesome things--blessings in disguise--and you have to put other, equally good things aside in order to take hold of those blessings. (keep reading for an example)

Are you sensing a trend here?

What has Emilie been up to? 


Well, I'm glad you asked. Clearly it hasn't been blogging. *hangs head in shame*


The Apology 

Yes, I've almost completely neglected my blog for a while now and I cannot say how SORRY I am. I wouldn't blame you if you asked yourself...does Emilie even still blog? I've asked myself that same question, and every time I think the answer might be no, I remember why I started blogging in the first place. Allow me to elaborate... 

Why I started blogging


I was young and idealized the thought of writing and letting the world know my thoughts. Because certainly you ALL wanted to know what I was thinking...about whatever I wanted to talk about. >eye roll at my younger self< It started as an outlet. A way for young-Emilie to be creative and wordy and flowery in her prose (because that's what writers do, right?) and because I thought...why not blog? Why not put my heart out there for others to see? 

Then, as the years progressed, so did my blogging. I wrote more from my heart as I found out what it looked like to mine the depths of feeling and express it in little black text on a digital page. As I discovered more of what my faith was based on that also affected my writing. I wanted to write to express the amazing love I'd been given. The understanding of a God I was just beginning to "get". The reality that He loved me--loved us--and the fact that that love had to change everything. 


My blogging changed again when I re-remembered (um, not sure how that works but I feel it's accurate) my deep love of books and writing. I started to want to encourage other writers, join the ranks of published authors, and talk about things like marketing and writing and photography as it related to writing. 

Whew. Are you tired already? There has been a lot of change. 

Good news: I'm not writing to say that there'll be more change. Not yet, at least. 😉 But I do think there has to be an apology to you all who follow me (and have in the past) and who have told me so many times how my writing has affected you. This is always overwhelming to me. People (besides my mom) actually read my blog? 

But, of late, I've used my platform only to promote. I'm not against this, and I will continue to do this because there are so many amazing books/authors out there that you all need to know about. However, I also want my content to inspire. Whether that's faith, writing, social media, or other things I'm passionate about, you'll find that here. 

I'm not saying I'll be prolific - I know I don't have the time for that - but I want to be more consistent. For myself. For you. 

The Update

Now, what have I been up to that's taken me away from this blog? So many things...but I'll do a brief recap. 

1. I started a new job. 
I'm now a part-time youth director and social media/designer for my church here in Northern California (this is in addition to my own self-employment). I get the opportunity to use my degree in Youth Ministry to hang out with awesome students, put Oreo cookies on my face, and tell them about  how much Jesus loves them and wants a relationship with them. #dreamjob 

My students on our retreat to the coast


2. I moved. 
In addition to the job, I got to move into a house where my dad and I got to spend some quality time painting! I'm still in the process of "getting everything together" but it's looking more and more like home. 

3. I got a doggie!!! 
His name is Bounce and he likes lots of treats (hot dogs seem to be his favorite), sleeping in the back yard (sometimes on his back and with no shame), and really really really long hikes/walks. He's a 2 year old Anatolian mix and is the sweetest boy! He is featured prominently on my Instagram stories 😍


4. I bit off more than I can chew. 
This one seems to be a running theme in my life. I do a lot of things from book cover design to photography to freelance ghostwriting. I enjoy all of them (probably part of the problem) but I also find it hard to say no to any one of them. Something I'm working on, really! But I think that's one of the main reasons why the blog falls by the wayside. It's fun, I love blogging, but it doesn't really earn me any income. It's just a way for me to express my thoughts, share about books and authors with you all, and occasionally give some tips and tricks about the things I've learned. Because of that, it get's pushed down the ladder of importance when life gets crazy. 

So, that's it. My admission, my apology, and my update for you all. Know that I value each one of you. I do this blogging thing to connect with others and really don't want to see it go by the wayside. I still enjoy writing out my thoughts for you all so I will do my best to keep up with it. 

In the mean time, know that I do have some awesome posts coming your way from my lovely author friends who have written incredible books! 

Check back or subscribe to make sure you see the content! 

Also, connect with me on Instagram and Facebook where I'm most active! 

No comments:

Post a Comment