Friday, October 10, 2014

The Writing Life

From Pinterest
A chill in the air. The smell of pumpkin spice and woodsmoke. Burnt orange and golden leaves.

*sigh*

All of these things inspire me to be creative. I'm naturally a creative person, but something about fall brings out another side of me. All I find myself wanting to do is write or read, drink coffee or tea, and listen to Christmas music. (I may have started already...)

I've been dreaming recently about how much I'd love to just "get away" to a cabin in the woods somewhere. To be surrounded by nature and rely on a wood fire for warmth.

Yes, that does sound amazing. Instead, I live in the city (haha). Not to mention we don't have a fireplace :(

Sometimes we don't get the luxury of doing what we want. I'll talk about this in regard to NaNoWriMo on Monday the 20th, but I wanted to touch on it briefly here.

The writers life isn't always like Jessica Feltcher's from Murder She Wrote (yes, those of you who know me know I love that show).
The writer's life is messy. It's filled with distractions. It's filled with life. 
I used to think that was the absolute worst. Wouldn't it be better if I could be secluded from everyone and just write? (Ooo my introvert is showing). In theory that sounds great, but in reality that would make for a boring novelist.

The things that make your story unique and interesting are likely straight from your life. Whether that's a plot idea or a character trait. Your life is what makes your writing vibrant and alive.

Not that a quiet vacation to a cabin in the woods in the middle of fall wouldn't be absolutely perfect (if someone want's to gift this vacation to me...email me) but realize that type of writing retreat is only profitable when you've been living your life right where you are.

What inspires you? Do you take characters or ideas from your everyday life? Where's your ideal writing vacation spot?

No comments:

Post a Comment