Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Jesus in real life {Thinking Theology}

E.A. Creative Photography
I’m tired.

And I’m guessing I’m not the only one out there who is thinking those very same words. Possibly even saying them as an excuse (though a valid one) right now.

*Yawn* Yep, still tired.

But, you know what? That’s okay.

I’ve come to realize that life doesn’t look as pretty as I thought it once did. I know that sounds slightly defeatist, but I’m not treading down that path. I’m only reflecting on the fact that, the older you get, the more you've seen. The more you've experience. The more that affects you.

Sometimes, it’s so much that it threatens to overwhelm me. I see the hurt in the world and think – why can’t I do something about it? I see those in need and think – why can’t I give them more? I see the unloved and think – how can I love them like He did? These are all good things to think, but they require a lot of time, resources, and effort.

In the midst of this I wonder...what heaven will be like? I start to think about the sick being healed and the Lord personally wiping away my tears.

I think of that, and then I think of where we live now, and I see the disparity between the two. And yet, it’s okay to be like this, because He promises to come again. He promises to make things new. He promises to heal this broken and torn down world.

I’ve been thinking about Jesus in real life.

How He loved those around him who were dirty. How He spent time with those that the religious leaders wouldn't. How He broke the mold of rules and regulations with a new covenant of love. How He put aside His desires for the sake of His Father and for us…ultimately giving up His last breath in order for ours to never cease.

Now I’m awake.

I’m thinking about His love. His grace. His just governing. His righteous right hand. His overwhelming goodness. His promises.

We live in darkness here, shadowed by the cloud of sin on an Earth ruled by the prince of the air, but there will come a day when we will no longer squint to see the truth. We will rise with Him, our feet pounding the pavement of a new earth restored to perfection beyond our wildest dreams.

Can you see it? Can you feel the exhilaration of hope that those thoughts bring?

So today, though you may be tired—though I am tired—let us put our thoughts away from present suffering and turn them to the future. Turn them to the One who upholds us. The One who never leaves nor forsakes us.

And let us be renewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment