Wednesday, April 2, 2014

G. E. Hamlin {Writer Wednesday}

A little more about G.E. (we'll call her Ginny for the sake of this interview)


G.E. Hamlin (Ginny) passionately writes about broken marriages and the restorative power of Jesus Christ. Her stories stem from personal experiences and working in lay ministry as a member of her church. Her characters encounter the natural consequences of addiction to: alcohol, drugs, and sexual immorality. It is Ginny's hope each story will create a bridge for discussion in real life.

Ginny has been a member of ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) for over six years. Her style of writing reflects the qualities of Nicholas Sparks' soft side and the fast pace of James Patterson.

She and her husband Ed have a blended family with five adult children and eight grandchildren. Ginny and her husband live in Southern California where they enjoy the beach, desert, and mountains. As a full time author, she is blessed with frequent opportunities to spend time with the grandchildren.


How to connect with Ginny...

Amazon.com: Marriage Takes Three
Blog: http://eghamlin.com/Gblog
Main Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GEHamlin
Personal Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/G-E-Hamlin/111808395523799?ref=hl
Google+ https://plus.google.com/+GinnyHamlin/about
On twitter: Twitter.com@GEHamlin
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/g-e-ginny-hamlin/77/939/89
Goodreads profile: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7236005.G_E_Hamlin
Pintrest: http://www.pinterest.com/ge0073/


Author Interview | G.E. Hamlin

You and Writing 

Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing?
...I started making up bedtime stories for my children in the late 70s. I’d encourage them to pick a few characters, which included: playmates, animals, and often inanimate objects. Once the cast of characters was set, I’d have them pick a setting and tell me what they wanted the characters to do -- a goal. My passion for storytelling was born during those years with my two little ones.

...The desire to create stories never left me, but with adult children I no longer had an audience. I prayed about what God wanted me to do with the desire to create stories. I believe God directed me to ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers, which went by another name at that time) via my online search for Christian novels. I’ve been a member for over six years and the blessings are too numerous to count, one of which includes contracting with my publisher, Chalfont House/HopeSprings Books.

...I write Christian fiction with a focus on broken marriages, and the restorative power of Jesus Christ. My husband and I are passionate about placing God at the center of our marriage and encouraging other married couples to do the same, thus the title of my debut novel Marriage Takes Three.


What has kept you writing?
...What’s kept me writing is my belief that God placed a passion in me to write novels about broken marriages and that I needed to persevere in spite of what things looked like e.g., winning contests, signing or not signing with an agent, and or contracting with a publisher. The awareness that God is in control of my life, which obviously includes my passion to write, freed me up to enjoy the journey. (It also helped that my husband would encourage me when I received responses to queries, which were less than favorable.)
Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?
...“Marriage Takes Three” will always hold a special place in my heart. As my debut novel, how could it not?

What was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?
...The most challenging aspect of publication, for me, came after I theoretically typed the words “The End”. I had no idea how much work was involved in marketing. The easiest and most rewarding thing about the publishing process is letting go and letting God have His way with it.



Your Writing

Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?
...My debut novel “Marriage Takes Three” which is scheduled for release from Chalfont House/HopeSprings books April 02, 2014, is a story about a woman, Darla Connor, who is struggling with whether to stay in her troubled marriage or walk away. Maintaining a long distance friendship with an old sweetheart isn’t making the decision easier, especially when that sweetheart, now a famous country music star, declares his love for her, even though she is married. Darla Connor’s husband, Randall Connor, is a recovering alcoholic and wants to heal his broken marriage. As a new believer, he is counting on God to help him. When Darla rejects his ultimatum to sever ties with her old boyfriend, he’s in for the battle of his life. Jack Collins, the protagonist, feels Darla is the only woman who truly loves him for who he is, and not the well-known country music artist he’s become. Jack’s goal is to give Darla everything her heart desires, but first he must get her to divorce Randall. Darla is at a precipice. Will she follow promises of ‘better to come’ with Jack, or if she will she surrender to God in time to save her marriage?

Do you have a favorite character in this work? If so, why?
...My favorite character in “Marriage Takes Three” isn’t limited to one character, but rather to different character traits. Randall’s perseverance is admirable. Darla’s loyalty is heartwarming. Paul’s innocence and ability to forgive is inspiring, and even Jack’s tenacity is motivating at times.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...I’ll reference a line from one of my characters; you’ll have to read “Marriage Takes Three” to identify which character.
The character says, “Lord, thank you for being faithful—even when I’m not.” That’s a humbling takeaway.


Writing

Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...Each of my stories has a bit of “real life” in them. Yes, even the protagonists in varying degrees are from observations more so than personal experiences…yet on that slight admission, I plead the fifth. ;)

When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?
...I hope my novels will be a bridge for discussion of real relationships issues. Dysfunction doesn’t destroy relationships; dysfunction that is not dealt with destroys relationships. The stories I write reflect the restorative power of Jesus Christ.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
...Embrace a teachable spirit. Yes, we want to respect and guard against our voice being drowned out by well intended critique partners and seasoned editors, but we also need to acknowledge a good suggestion when we hear one. My critique partners have blessed me over the years, and most recently an editor who knows of what she speaks. Because I’ve listened for good advice and heeded it when it came my way, I believe my novel is the better for it.

You

Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what do you listen to?
...When I’m writing I don’t generally listen to music; I find it too distracting. However, on occasion I will turn Pandora on while I’m writing and listen to an Instrumental Praise radio station.

What is your favorite season and why?
...I enjoy the colder months, which may seem odd for a native Californian to admit to, but I say bring on the rain and overcast days. I love snuggling up with my hubby in front of a roaring fire while we watch old movies – we’re Hitchcock fans, so we’ve been known to hole up for a weekend with munchies.

What is your favorite genre to read? Why do you enjoy it?
...I appreciate Christian fiction with an edge, which unsurprisingly is what my publisher, Chalfont House/HopeSprings Books promotes. And by edge I mean true to life stories that represent what Christians face in the world.

Emilie, thank you for having me as guest on your blog, I’ve enjoyed the interview. I hope your readers will enjoy learning a little about me. ;)

_______________________

 Thank you Ginny :) I've loved getting to know more about you and look forward to this new release of yours! I appreciate the real-life aspect you are desiring to share with your readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment