Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Susan J. Reinhardt {Writer Wednesday}

Please give a warm welcome to Susan Reinhardt, author of The Moses Conspiracy!

...A little bit about Susan

Susan J. Reinhardt's journey to publication began as a non-fiction writer. She's been published in The RevWriter Resource, Devotions Magazine, A Secret Place, Vista, Live, and numerous other compilations and periodicals. Her appreciation for using fiction techniques inspired her to use fiction as a vehicle for truth. Her novel, "The Moses Conspiracy," was released as an e-book on March 16, 2013. The print version launched on May 17, 2013.

A widow, stepmom, daughter, and active church member, Susan enjoys reading, couponing, gardening, and searching for small treasures in antique shops.




How to connect with Susan...
Blog: http://susanjreinhardt.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorSusanJReinhardt
Twitter: https://twitter.com/susanjreinhardt
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7012233.Susan_J_Reinhardt
To purchase her books: on Amazon, on B&N, on Kobobooks.com

Author Interview | Susan Reinhardt
 
You & Writing
Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
...I started off as a non-fiction writer. For years, I wrote short pieces, skits, curriculum, etc., but never considered myself a writer with a capital "W."
...About 10 years ago, my late husband urged me to seek publication. Since then, I've been published in Devotions Magazine, The RevWriter Resource, Live, The Secret Place, Vista, and several anthologies/devotional books. ...About 8 years ago, I started writing fiction. I'll go into more detail a bit later.
...A vision for my story kept me on track and still propels me forward.

Your Writing
Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?
...Here's a short blurb about The Moses Conspiracy:
A trip to post-terrorized Washington, D.C. in 2025 and a buggy accident in Bird-in-Hand, PA set in motion events that expose a diabolical plan to destroy the Christian community. Ellie and John Zimmerman find themselves embroiled in a life-threatening investigation, fighting a shadowy enemy.

Convinced it's now safe to visit D.C., Ellie and her firstborn, 8-year-old Peter, travel to the nation's capital. Both mother and child make an effort to enjoy the sights, but they're unprepared for the challenges they face. Her nightmares come true when she and Peter are separated.

Back home, John witnesses a neighbor's buggy accident. The suspicious circumstances and law enforcement's refusal to take them seriously prompt him to take on the role of detective. He and a tenacious reporter band together and vow to find out what's happening in Bird-in-Hand.

...In December of 2004, my late husband and I visited Gettysburg town square. As we enjoyed the old buildings, I "heard" the voices of the forefathers, but they were like fading echoes. In August 2005, we were discussing this experience when he declared, "That's it! That's your book! And you'll write it in four months and call it Ghosts of the Past."

...The completed first draft was finished in December 2005. It underwent two name changes until I settled on The Moses Conspiracy. At a writers conference, I discovered my fiction skills needed serious work. It took eight years to get the book into shape, minus a two-year hiatus to care for my husband during his battle with leukemia and subsequent death.

Writing
Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...The characters in The Moses Conspiracy are a conglomeration of me, my family, other people, and a big dose of my imagination. It's rather like making stew. Throw in quirky habits, a little dab of a worrier, a pinch of stubbornness, stir it, and it adds up to a unique person. I'm a seat-of-the-pants author, so how they react often surprises me.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
...Don't be in a rush to present your work to agents and editors. Learn your craft, put it into practice, find critique partners, and bring something polished to the professionals. Going to conferences helped me a lot, as well as reading articles online and craft books.

You
How are you making the most of your time this summer for writing and relaxing? Do you do anything different in the summer months?
...The summer months require a lot of discipline. I'm a wannabe gardener, so my sights are often set on being outdoors. The warm weather also draws me to day trips, hanging out with family and friends, and poking through antique shops.
...It's difficult to stay at the computer when all those activities are calling my name. Since I signed a contract with Helping Hands Press in January 2013, my schedule is less flexible than in past years. I'm working on the second book of the trilogy, and another smaller project.


_____________________

Thank you so much for sharing Susan! Wow - your story is so encouraging! I love how you hung in there with the book you felt called to write! For me, I've had to put some of my earlier works aside in perusing something new but I hope to one day come back to them. It's just like you said, you want something really good and polished to give agents and editors!

I'm looking forward to reading The Moses Conspiracy and, Thinkin Thoughts readers, be sure to be on the look out for my Re:View post of it. Make sure you pick up your copy today!


No comments:

Post a Comment