Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Heidi Glick {Writer Wednesday}

I'm excited to introduce you to Heidi Glick for today's {Writer Wednesday} feature. Make sure you stay hello :)

A little bit about Heidi...

Heidi Glick has a B.A. in biology, a minor in Bible from Cedarville University, and a passion for writing Christian fiction. She has over seven years of technical editing experience, a certificate in technical writing from Cal State University, Dominguez Hills, and is working towards her Master of English at Utah State University. Additionally, she is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and has written two articles for Intercom. When not working, Heidi spends time with her husband, son, and two dogs, Cocoa and Sparky. She attends Grace Chapel in Mason, Ohio.

How to connect with Heidi...

Her website:  heidiglickbooks.com
A blog she is an author for: http://sleuthsandsuspects.blogspot.com
Her Facebook Author Page: http://www.facebook.com/authorheidiglick
Her Twitter: https://twitter.com/sheglick

Author Interview | Heidi Glick 

You and Writing

Tell us a little bit about yourself: How did you start writing? What has kept you writing?
...I started writing as a teenager. As a teen, I participated in a church drama, The Bethlehem Marketplace, which is an interactive, walk-through nativity. I communicated to a fellow actor that I was interested in one of the lead roles, but I was too young. The actor suggested I write my own plays, and so I did. As a teen, I started out writing plays and scripts, including a sequel to the Indiana Jones movie series (hey, a girl can dream). I even created a sound recording of a Civil War drama I’d written, complete with a soundtrack (yes, I was one of those geeks).
...The short answer is that God has kept me writing. The long answer is that God has used situations to keep me writing.


Do you have a favorite book or work that you’ve written? If so, why?
...My favorite work (still in progress) that I’ve written is Ten Degrees from Normal. It’s my favorite because of the main character, agent Chance McPherson. I’ve had a lot of fun writing about him. He’s funny and can pretty much get away with anything; he steals every scene he’s in.

What was the hardest thing about publishing? The easiest?
...The hardest thing about publishing is marketing. The easiest thing about publishing is the (very brief) moment of relaxation between the completion of one’s first novel and the start of the next. 

Your Writing
 
Tell us a little bit about your book or what you’re working on currently? Why are you/did you write it?
...Dog Tags is a suspense novel. I originally wrote it as a romance and then revamped it as suspense with a touch of romance. I revolved my story around my hero. I suspect there are others than can readily identify with him and his struggles. I’d say more, but I don’t want to give too much away.

Do you have a favorite character in this work? If so, why?
...The hero, Mark Graham, is a man of integrity and honor. Society lifts up pro athletes and actors, etc. as heroes, but we often forget many of our “true heroes”—our men and women in the armed forces.

What is one take-away from your book that you hope readers identify with?
...I hope readers learn that God allows hard times in our lives, but we can still trust Him. Also, we need to forgive generously (sometimes that means forgiving ourselves). 

Writing
Where do you find inspiration for your story/characters? Are they based on real life or pure imagination or both?
...I find inspiration for my story and characters from both real life and pure imagination.
...For example, the hero of Dog Tags is a history major. My husband is a history major, and I based parts of my character on my husband. Also, the dog in Dog Tags is largely based on my own pet, Sparky, a Schipperke.


When you write, what is your overall intention with your stories?

...I have many intentions. Mostly, I write to inspire, but I also write to encourage and to make people laugh and to entertain.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors for writing and/or publishing?
...Keep writing and find a professional writing community to join. Read the genre in which you’d like to write but be open to change. As a teen, I started writing scripts. I never would have imagined that I would end up writing suspense. Be open to criticism and learn from it.

You
What is one thing you like to do to relax when you aren’t writing?
...When I’m not writing, I like to work in my garden or spend time with my family.
Thinking of Fathers Day, is there a story you’d like to share with the readers about your father?
...I love my father and miss him very much, but I’m glad that he’s pain free in Heaven with Jesus. My father passed away in September 2011 of ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). I’ve based a character in another story on my dad. Also, I’ve dedicated Dog Tags to him. Unfortunately, my dad died before I became a published fiction writer, but I know he’d be proud of me.

What is one thing you are looking forward to for the Summer?
...My son will be 4 months old then. I look forward to taking him outside more.
 ____________________
 Thank you so much Heidi for taking time out of your busy schedule to visit us here at Thinking Thoughts! I'm excited for my chance to review your new release, Dog Tag's. For those of you who are interested in reading it - you won't have to wait much longer! The release date is June 7th!  So make sure this Friday you hop on over to Heidi's website and get your copy!

Here's a little blurb to wet your appetite:
When disabled ex-Marine Mark Graham reconnects with his best friend’s sister, he finds himself falling in love. But Beth Martindale’s presence is a constant reminder of events he’d rather forget. Mark wants to move forward, but the secrets surrounding her brother’s death as well as his own confinement to a wheelchair threaten to tear them apart.When a psychopath who calls himself The Knight fixates on Beth, Mark is determined to give her the protection he failed to give her brother on the battlefield, yet he discovers that a wheelchair isn’t the only impediment he has to keeping Beth safe. Will terror win or can Mark find the strength of mind and body to rescue Beth and find his own redemption?
Make sure and check back to see more reviews coming up soon and next weeks featured author: Stephanie Landsem!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment