Saturday, June 29, 2013

ACFW Writers Conference

I am so excited!

I get to attend the American Christian Fiction Writers conference this September! When I first heard of the conference, shortly after joining ACFW, I thought to myself, "It would be great to go, but I probably can't." Now, looking back, I had no idea all that the Lord would do in order to bring me to the point where I am attending!

I will only share bits and pieces here, because it's quite a long story, but I just love seeing the Lord's hand in things! I think that is part of the reason why I write--to share how God can (and does) work though our lives.

You see, I have been blessed to partner up with a fabulous critique partner on my latest novel. Her name is Deb and you should definitely check out her books! I honestly believe the Lord planned for Deb to see my post in search of a critique partner and prompted her to reply because I know she has already helped my writing tremendously in the short time we've been working together! (Seriously, check out her books!)

I received word an editor wanted to see my manuscript [post about this here]. I thought to myself, "Okay, Lord, what does that mean?" It meant I needed to work my tail off! I still am, and am exited to say I'm almost done with my novel! Little did I realize that it was in preparation for more than just a pitch to an editor. In talking with Deb, I realized that if I really wanted to be serious about my writing, I was going to have to consider getting an agent.

Dun, dun, dun....

Suddenly, I was that wide-eyed little girl back in grade school wanting to grow up to be an author but having no idea what that meant. Sure, it is fun to write books, but to sell them to publishing houses and be a part of the elite group of men and women who entertain and delight readers all over the world through the written word...well, that's another story. 

Enter in the ACFW conference. I am blessed to say that God has worked out the details for me to attend and, while I hadn't anticipated attending, I know I am more excited than I would have imagined. I hope to make amazing friends, learn a lot, and hopefully meet with an agent or two in hopes of continuing down the road to publication. Thankfully, I've been motivated to complete my manuscript (which is pretty much a necessity as an unpublished author to attain an agent) and hope to be ready to take the next steps in my writing career.

Through all of this I am reminded of one very important fact.

I write as an outpouring to God. 

I fully believe we are all given gifts and talents by the Creator and we are meant to use them. I desire to use my gift for writing for Him and His glory - not for myself (1 Cor. 10:31). I know it's easy to get wrapped up in myself, but I sit at my keyboard today and pray fervently that everything and anything I do will only act to bring Him more glory.

Thanks to all of you who faithfully read Thinking Thoughts and who encourage me in my writing endeavors. Yes, I may talk in word counts and character motivation, but I hope to someday soon be able to hand you a book and say, "I wrote this for you--to inspire, encourage, and entertain!"

No comments:

Post a Comment