Thursday, April 2, 2015

When I'm Most Inspired


There are times when I think I'll explode if I don't write about how I'm feeling. I realize that may be a very odd thing to admit to. I also realize that not everyone feels that way. But it happens. It sneaks up on me and then it's like BAM:

INSPIRATION

Sometimes it's a story I read. Or a photo. Or a memory. Or a song.

Right now it's a song: Hoppípolla by Sigur Rós. They are an Icelandic band and I have absolutely no idea what the song is about or what they are saying. There is something unbelievably moving about it though. (Follow me on Spotify!)

I often marvel at our human ability to be moved by the arts. I can watch a talented dancer giving it their all or hear a beautiful singer (hello Lady Gaga with her tribute to The Sound of Music) and feel completely overwhelmed. It's the same for me when I am in nature, surrounded by trees and everything is still. It whispers to my soul, brings tears to my eyes, and reminds me...


He is creator. 

I don't create because I'm talented. I created because He is. I wouldn't have the understanding, the inspiration, or the ability to do anything without this crazy thing called life. Where do ideas come from? The world around us (created by Him). Human nature (created by Him). Our own minds (created by Him).

If you lack inspiration, maybe you are lacking time with Him, enjoying His creation, and relishing the simple complexity that is life. I know that getting out into nature or taking time away from the busy nature of life helps me focus and remember who He is.
The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Psalm 19:1
What do you think? What inspires you? Where do you go to be inspired? What music inspires you?

No comments:

Post a Comment